Automobiles that never were.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cadillac has made station wagons since the 50's. Still does.
1639712300072.png

AlongCameJones

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dodge magnum 2005 to 2008

View attachment 240597
https://www.hotcars.com/dodge-magnum-srt-8-discontinued/

Looks like a fun grocery getter, but after my first two cars, I been a truck kind of guy!

I'd just get in trouble with that thing like I did back in my early days!

I was thinking along the lines of a full-size wagon like a 1970's Ford Country Squire or Chevrolet Kingswood Estate or a 1960's Chrysler Town & Country. I would want enough room in back for two German shepherds behind the second row seat. None of the likes of those land boats were ever hot-rodded right from the factory. The only practical shepherd hauler for me today is a Toyota truck with a shell on the back and a Breezer connector between the cab slider and the shell. I don't care about speed or 1/4-mile times anymore.

A large heavy automobile made for peeling rubber is a SLED or a LEAD SLED. Detroit put out a few of those 1/4-mile boats in the 1960's as the 1963 Pontiac Catalina 421 3 deuces 4:11 gears and others. They were trunk sedans, coupes or convertibles. No wagon bodies and no Lincoln or Caddy badges. Precious few SLEDS had factory a/c.

Last edited:

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
this is my "Cowboy Cadillac". I'm Ford guy but I love this Chevy. My first new car was a '75 El Camino. I liked the body style of this '72 better but I 'had to have' a new car coming out of college. Saw this one on a lot and couldn't resist a few years ago. It is mostly OEM with the 307 V8.....wish it had had the 350.

Attachments

• elcamino.JPG
    elcamino.JPG
    105.7 KB · Views: 28

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Actually Cadillac may not have had an "official muscle car," however Pre 68 there were Cadillacs with FACTORY tri-power engines as an option. In 1968 (please correct me if I am wrong) they did Introduce the 500 cid V-8 with 400 HP and 500 ft/lbs of torque. That could move a larger car with a little "authority" until GM turned it into a wheezing anchor with emissions laws imposed by the EPA. Little known there were also FACTORY Station Wagon versions of the GTO and 442, however only several were ever made (under 5.) Also in Modern times there is the CTS-V, with a manual transmission.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actually Cadillac may not have had an "official muscle car," however Pre 68 there were Cadillacs with FACTORY tri-power engines as an option. In 1968 (please correct me if I am wrong) they did Introduce the 500 cid V-8 with 400 HP and 500 ft/lbs of torque. That could move a larger car with a little "authority" until GM turned it into a wheezing anchor with emissions laws imposed by the EPA.
I saw a tractor-pulling rig sporting two of those back in the mid '70s. :D

The guy lived near a friend of mine. We saw him tinkering with it and went over to visit a while.
:drunk2:
___

AlongCameJones

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There really was never much market for big luxury boats or big family/big dog haulers designed to peel rubber with authority right out of the box. The muscle car buff with a German shepherd, a surfboard, a Saint Bernard, a Doberman Pinscher or a bull mastiff was largely overlooked. Station wagons were hot-rodded by young boys in coastal states as "surf wagons". This was a practice that started out in the early 1960's and went into the 1990's. They were tire-peelers designed to haul long surfboards and were a staple of California beach culture. They started out as stock station wagons their mothers, aunts or grandmothers may have previously owned. The traditional station wagon, in its heyday, was once stereotyped as a family woman's shopping cart. Later on, minivans and city-slick SUV's would be stereotyped with soccer moms. Old ambulances and hearses (meat wagons) have also been turned into such surf wagons. Another fad during the California surf craze was the lowly dune buggy. It was basically a Volkswagen Beetle converted into a weird open fat-tire contraption for driving over beaches. The '60's and '70's were the heyday for these. AMC Jeeps were also faddish in the '70's. CJ5 and such but I digress. If you had a family or a big dog, you were expected to drive a practical modestly-powered vehicle with a level of saneness and safety consciousness. Many old folks bought Cadillacs and Lincolns and such demographic were never known to be speed demons.

Last edited:

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the Board and all 4 big dogs would easily fit in a Chevy Apache with the 409, and later the 396 and 454. I had a big block Chevy factory stock K-20 that left a lot of "street iron" owners crying. Oh it had A.C. too......I know, not a car......but with a topper it was almost a station wagon.😉

ICanFixIt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is a little newer than the ones being discussed, but when Dodge came out with the Hemi Magnum RT, in 2005, it was exactly what the op described. It had a surprising amount of room inside and a twin size mattress would easily fit flat in the rear floor. It was really a nice car, but lane changes were a bit scary because seeing other traffic out the "mail slot" rear window was nearly impossible. I sold mine with less than 2500 miles on it because of that problem.

Latest posts

Top Bottom