Baofeng UV-5R, Ham Radio, What can I listen in on in OKC?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Been an interesting thread. I had a friend who purchased a new Baofang UV5R-MK3X off of Amazon that was supposed to be a triband. Yep all the specs show that, stickers were right but it would only do 2m and 70cm working. As I did a lot of research and found how to unlock it and use the old Chirp to get the 220 band workingalso, I ran across other info that this would work with older Baofangs. I took 2 of my prob 3 year older UV5Rs and did the same thing. Wala shezam, they are now triband radios also. They receive well and transmit something 220, not sure of the power output yet. I guess I need to purchase a couple triband antennas. But first I will run a swr test on a couple of the longer Nagoya antennas I have that look similar to my friends triband first and see how they do on 220 also. Be a couple days till I can get to it if anyone is interested in my results. MTC and Radiodity are involved with Baofang progams. Each having different programming for what looks like the same radio.

mikeyinokc

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
QRZ is a good place to start..There is a multitude of informative forums there having to do with Amateur Radio.

https://forums.qrz.com/index.php
https://www.qrz.com/
It's easy peazy to get a license today guys..I got my Novice license in '89. Had to go through 5 license levels to get to the Extra. Along with the morse code.
There is a multitude of information on the Internet. Find a club in your locale, go to some meetings. There's a lot of information on this thread to help as well.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hamstudy.org is a free desktop study site, flash cards with supporting information as desired and practice exams. Think it is $3 for the app if you want it on your phone and is top notch.. It is produced by the same people who generate the FCC exam test you will most likely take if it is given electronically. We tested two Sunday, they got their call signs today, Tuesday.

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Passed my General exam this morning, whoohoo! Not sure where to go from here, I just have Baofeng BF-F8HP using a twin lead jpole hanging on my wall. I can get the repeater for the Edmond club and that's about it.
I don't have a lot of money to throw at it right now, probably look at antennas as my next improvement.
I would also like to get a SDR set up for shortwave listening.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Passed my General exam this morning, whoohoo! Not sure where to go from here, I just have Baofeng BF-F8HP using a twin lead jpole hanging on my wall. I can get the repeater for the Edmond club and that's about it.
I don't have a lot of money to throw at it right now, probably look at antennas as my next improvement.
I would also like to get a SDR set up for shortwave listening.
Did you test in Edmond this morning? I know another guy that was there.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
https://www.amazon.com/Transceiver-AT-779UV-144-148MHz-420-450MHz-Scanning/dp/B094MND77Y
For 2m and 70cm this radio works well. This is what I started out with.
I have an Ed Fong($50) dual band antenna and LMR 400($87 for 50ft) for coax .
From NW39th and May I can hit scars which is west of dirty bird, W5IAS which is Guthrie I believe.
UHF and VHF have a high loss rate through the coax. While you can make do with RG8X or RG58 you will severely limit your coverage with longer runs . If you can keep your runs with those types of coax as short as possible(15-20 ft max.) to help reduce loss.

For that HT , you can get one of those vehicle external antennas and mount it on a ground plane, think cookie sheet or tin roof or even a window unit will work but will be directional due to where it is located on the house.

Also there are all sorts of videos about DIY antennas that are really cheap and easy to build.