Baofeng UV-5R, Ham Radio, What can I listen in on in OKC?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had my Amateur Extra license expire due to some stupid factors on my part, so now I'll need to pass the Technician test again. I should get credit for Element 3 (General) and Element 4 (Extra) and get a new license and call sign. Pisses me off I let that happen.

Unfortunately, my GMRS license will expire eventually too.

My General Radiotelephone Operator (PG) License (with ship radar endorsement) doesn't expire. Kinda weird.

JR777

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most of the police traffic isn't encrypted, but they've mostly all switched to bands well outside the amateur range. Like around 900mhz. They do also have encrypted "tactical" channels they switch to whenever something juicy is going on.

I believe the FCC made Baofeng lock their radios to the amateur bands, so if I remember right you now have to unlock them to get GMRS, FRS, and MURS. The GMRS repeaters have quite a bit of traffic. Some of them use tones so you may or may not hear your local GMRS repeaters if you just auto load them onto the radio using CHIRP. Some are also private, as in you have to pay to get the info.

Then the HAM repeaters is where you're going to hear the most. You have to program them though. You have to know what the transmit and receive frequencies are as well as the tones, which will all be public information, but you still have to program them into your radio.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had my Amateur Extra license expire due to some stupid factors on my part, so now I'll need to pass the Technician test again. I should get credit for Element 3 (General) and Element 4 (Extra) and get a new license and call sign. Pisses me off I let that happen.

Unfortunately, my GMRS license will expire eventually too.

My General Radiotelephone Operator (PG) License (with ship radar endorsement) doesn't expire. Kinda weird.

Passed (again) the Technician test last weekend so I will be soon reinstated to Extra with a new call sign any day now once I pay the man.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most of the police traffic isn't encrypted, but they've mostly all switched to bands well outside the amateur range. Like around 900mhz. They do also have encrypted "tactical" channels they switch to whenever something juicy is going on.

I believe the FCC made Baofeng lock their radios to the amateur bands, so if I remember right you now have to unlock them to get GMRS, FRS, and MURS. The GMRS repeaters have quite a bit of traffic. Some of them use tones so you may or may not hear your local GMRS repeaters if you just auto load them onto the radio using CHIRP. Some are also private, as in you have to pay to get the info.

Then the HAM repeaters is where you're going to hear the most. You have to program them though. You have to know what the transmit and receive frequencies are as well as the tones, which will all be public information, but you still have to program them into your radio.

P25 is still 800MHZ, which is what all public safety uses, or is moving to. Everything outside PD 'Basic' is encrypted, so mostly patrol channels.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Passed (again) the Technician test last weekend so I will be soon reinstated to Extra with a new call sign any day now once I pay the man.
KI5YWF here. TARC has several linked repeaters. One is connected in Guthrie/ N Edmond and I try to check into the net on Tuesday evenings .
1718067623708.png

Also I monitor the 2m W5GDL which is also linked to the above through Allstar. Do not have Allstar capability ..yet.. but have made contact with a ham in Keeton .

ScottsLife

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
I currently have my off-grid property in OK and another residence in a different state. Does it matter where I take the Technician test or join ARRL? I currently have my other home for sale and will be moving to OK full time once it sells. Thank you

Fr Mulcahy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I currently have my off-grid property in OK and another residence in a different state. Does it matter where I take the Technician test or join ARRL? I currently have my other home for sale and will be moving to OK full time once it sells. Thank you
The FCC license is federal and is good for all states.

The test question pool is the same throughout the country.

You do not need to be an ARRL member to take the test. You pay a testing fee, usually $15. You can take the test more than once when you pay an additional test fee. You also pay a license fee of $35 after the FCC notification that they are ready to take your money.

ScottsLife

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
The FCC license is federal and is good for all states.

The test question pool is the same throughout the country.

You do not need to be an ARRL member to take the test. You pay a testing fee, usually $15. You can take the test more than once when you pay an additional test fee. You also pay a license fee of $35 after the FCC notification that they are ready to take your money.
Thank you

BlindOne

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got a uv-5R 8W and have been listening. I passed my technician exam today. So should have my call sign next week they said. Study and get your technician license. I used https://hamradioprep.com for my technician and passed it first time. I’m going for my general license next. I hope to get it next month. It was easy using hamradioprep.

Hooper

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why not get a long range walkie talkie? They can reach miles.
I know this may be an older thread, but short range coms are useful when you don't want everyone to know what you are doing or talking about. limits eavesdropping.
Having codes for certain words or actions also helps confuse the eavesdroppers.
There are a ton of communication techniques in wattage low and high to confuse the enemy and not give up location. Trunking is another, having ability to receive and talk on two different frequencies.