Barnes TTSX

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T-Money

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi Dennis,

This may be coming late but I thought I might offer some information. I live in California where we have to use non-lead ammo. I use the Barnes T-TSX 168 gr. exclusively in my .308 win. for hunting. Here are a few things I know/noticed about these bullets:

-They are quiet a bit longer than other bullets
-They do tend to like a jump into the lands and not be jammed
-Because they are longer, they seat deeper and cause more pressure
-They are very accurate (I get .5 MOA groups to 300 yards)
-They seem to like higher velocities
-I send mine down range with 44.1 gr. of Varget at about 2700 fps.
-They are devastating on game
-They tend to leave small entrance and exit wounds (my experince)
-The damage and energy transfer to vitals and tissue is tremendous

In August I dropped a 300 lb. boar with this load. I had to pop him twice. The first shot hit behind the rib cage about 4" on the left side (it was a hard quartering away shot). That bullet traveled about 32" through the torso before coming to a rest under the armor plate in the front right shoulder. It destroyed the liver and lungs. The second shot was in the neck below the ear. This left such a small exit hole that I didn't even see it. The damage was brutal. It destroyed the spine, fractued the skull, and ruptured blood vessels in the brain. DRT!

I also dropped a small buck and doe with this load in the 2009 gun season in Haskell county. I travel back to OK every year for Thanksgiving to visit the family and do some deer hunting (got skunked this year). Both shots were double lung at about 90-100 yards. Each deer ran about 50 yards before they expired.

Here is a picture of the pig and the recovered bullet. The expanded diameter is .601" and the recovered weight is 167.0 gr. I think maybe the plastic tip might weigh about 1 gr. Nevertheless, near 100% weight retention. 99.4% to be exact.

ai974.photobucket.com_albums_ae221_jasontassey_542_1.jpg

ai974.photobucket.com_albums_ae221_jasontassey_541.jpg

ai974.photobucket.com_albums_ae221_jasontassey_525.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
T-Money, thanks for the field report!
So far your loading results and mine are pretty much Identical.
I did seat them a little deeper than Barnes recomends, but they remained accurate.
Hopefully I'll get a chance to see how they perform on an elk this weekend.
Nice Hog BTW:D

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Another Barnes incident: I saw, at a gunsmith's place of business, a T-post section with a bullet hole in it. It was a keyhole shaped hole. The 'smith told me he had cut the section out of the T-post for a friend who had been shooting at a hog with a barnes bullet (can't remember the caliber). The hog was a few feet past the post,and was killed instantly by the bullet which was still in one piece. Knowing how hard T-posts are, I find this surprising, but . . .

I am loading some 25-06 rounds with Barnes solids that do not expand because I want to have a couple of pelts tanned. These are designed to not expand, so shot placement is going to be critical, which is not an issue with my heavy Mauser based 25-06. CB

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Another Barnes incident: I saw, at a gunsmith's place of business, a T-post section with a bullet hole in it. It was a keyhole shaped hole. The 'smith told me he had cut the section out of the T-post for a friend who had been shooting at a hog with a barnes bullet (can't remember the caliber). The hog was a few feet past the post,and was killed instantly by the bullet which was still in one piece. Knowing how hard T-posts are, I find this surprising, but . . .
I can believe it. Have been shooting the Barnes MZ bullets for years with great sucess. I know with my redneck ballistics tests that a centerfire bullet in the 2500+ velocity will penetrate thicker, and stronger steel than a T post.
I am loading some 25-06 rounds with Barnes solids that do not expand because I want to have a couple of pelts tanned. These are designed to not expand, so shot placement is going to be critical, which is not an issue with my heavy Mauser based 25-06. CB

That should work good.
I've been reading about the Frangible bullets that go in, and then turn into powder.
Wonder how they would work for what your wanting to do?

Latest posts

Top Bottom