Bartlesville area granite work - or granite advice in general.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looking to do 1-3 bathrooms. Total 10-23ish sq ft. Lowe's won't do it, all their granite is 25-30 sq ft minimums. Well, to be honest when we were there, we were looking at just the one bath, about 10 sq ft. Not sure if we could get them to do it if we told them all three at ~23 sq and adding in backsplashes and all would get it up to 25ish - do they count it that way?

And then, after the lady in the granite section sent us over to the fashion vanity section, found out they can only do custom sizes in onyx and their manufactured stone. No prefab sizes are gonna suit our needs. And the guy in that section actually told us the granite at Lowe's isn't real granite, it's sorta semi-manufactured, which is why it's so much cheaper than other places. <sigh> Well, crapola.

Stopped by a place up in Dewey that has a bunch of granite slabs outside, but the owner's son was working (this was Sat) and did not really know much of anything about anything... got a really poor impression from him. The lady working with him wouldn't give us alot of info on pricing, said we'd have to come back Tuesday to talk to the woman who really does it all. AND they said we'd have to go down to Tulsa, pick out our slab, tell the warehouse, who would then call them back, then have them come to the house and make measurements and they could tell us a "ballpark" price. Jeez... you mean, you have all these slabs out front, but I still have to go to Tulsa to pick it out? Oh, no, no, no, you can pick one of these, or you can use some of these remnants (these baths don't have to be identical), but then we have to pay a fee to have it shipped back to Tulsa to be cut and then shipped back. WTF??? So... with all this Tulsa stuff, what's the point of looking locally, if we're going to have to pay extra to ship it there, or we have to go there ourselves and pick it out, etc. Ugh!

So... I'm thinking maybe we can find someone local who can do a decent job, but doesn't have recto/cranial inversion or something like that. I mean... I'm not trying to be overly cheap here, it's an upgrade that will improve the house and possibly resale, but I really hate dealing with dumbassery and being forced to give them my money. Local or not. If you seem like a moron, I'm not likely to let you do any kind of demolition work on my home. Ya dig?

So... we looked previously at concrete - it's ok, but not what we're looking for here. Quartz, slate, molded/prefab/manufactured stone isn't our thing. Cultured marble, ditto. We really want to do granite.

Saw a place in Tulsa on Craigslist that does 2cm granite slabs... this is obviously cheaper. Is there that big of a difference? I mean, it's for bathroom countertops and sinks... not gonna be heavily weight-bearing or anything. If it saves some cash, it seems to me like that oughtta be plenty strong enough, but am I missing something?

I know you want quality work done... but I also know it's not rocket surgery, either. I've had some shadetree contractors in my day, a number of whom have done excellent work and I would recommend to ANYONE. We're open to Tulsa-area folks, too, as long as they're willing to come out this way for a not-too-unreasonable fee.

So, I'm open to advice on granite in general and specifically on contractors in this area who would be decent ones to contact, but won't blow us off if we're not jumping in with 50+ sq ft of $100/ft stone. I've gotten the blowoff in the past from the place in Eastland Center, so I doubt we'll go back there. And the place in Dewey, well, like I said, seemed pretty sad.

To give you an idea, I walked in, the guy came up and asked how I was doing and what they could do for me.
So I said, "Well, we're looking at replacing all of our bathroom countertops with granite."
He looked at me and was like, "Yeah, cool, ok." And just stood there.
"So, we thought we'd come in and look around and see what you have."
"Ok, yeah, cool, man." And looks at me some more.
"Ok, so... " HUH????? "Why don't you show us where your granite is?"
"Oh yeah, sure, it's back there."
So I lead the way to the back to start looking. Talk about uncomfortable. Wow. I don't like to be hound-dogged, but when we specifically are asking about a product... oh well. You get the point. Anyways.

Whatcha got?

ChuckC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
2 cm is fine, should be a little cheaper than 3cm unless you have the edge laminated to appear thicker.

If they don't have to match from one bath to the next I'd think you could find remnants like was mentioned above.
I can't imagine a very serious shop that would have to send it to Tulsa to have it fabricated.
I'll ask my baby brother, he just moved back here from bville and was in construction there.
I assume your doing undermount sinks?
I have a cabinet shop in tahlequah and deal with a couple of granite shops all the time but I don't know if they'd travel that far or not.
I could help you out with laminate, solid surface or onyx but I don't fab stone or quartz.
As to lowes having fake granite, he may have been talking about quartz. But lowes just sub contracts out to any number of fab shops who all probably get their stone from one of the yards in Tulsa like Verona or Bedrock, can't think of the others names. They are almost all off of 169 near 71st.
I'll check with my bro tomorrow and see who he knows up there.

Latest posts

Top Bottom