bear season

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

handlebar

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
There will probably be some wouned deer this year due to the crossbow. Theres a lot of difference between 27 in draw lengh and 29 in draw length, in energy down range. does anybody know the weight of a crossbow arrow with broad head vs. regular bow arrow weight?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There will probably be some wounded deer this year due to the crossbow. Theres a lot of difference between 27 in draw lengh and 29 in draw length, in energy down range. does anybody know the weight of a crossbow arrow with broad head vs. regular bow arrow weight?

I can't even comment on this one......

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There will probably be some wouned deer this year due to the crossbow. Theres a lot of difference between 27 in draw lengh and 29 in draw length, in energy down range. does anybody know the weight of a crossbow arrow with broad head vs. regular bow arrow weight?

If a bow with 27" draw length pushes a 400 grain arrow to 300 fps, and another bow with 29" draw length pushes a 400 grain arrow to 300 fps, the energy down range is the same.

There will probably be some wounded deer this year due to people who can't shoot or shoot beyond their ability. Those people may be suing crossbows, or compounds, or recurves, or longbows, or muzzleloaders, or even rifles.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If a bow with 27" draw length pushes a 400 grain arrow to 300 fps, and another bow with 29" draw length pushes a 400 grain arrow to 300 fps, the energy down range is the same.

There will probably be some wounded deer this year due to people who can't shoot or shoot beyond their ability. Those people may be using crossbows, or compounds, or recurves, or longbows, or muzzleloaders, or even rifles.

Thanks. I was blown away by this.......

MDT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How can you NOT blame the short season on crossbows? When over 20 bears (the TOTAL quota) were killed on the first day by crossbow alone??? Versus last year when they never even got the total quota when crossbows were not allowed? Although I believe this year the quota would have been filled without crossbows, they sure didn't help to stretch out the season and give more people a chance.

RidgeHunter, I did not get out-opportunitied, as I didn't even get a tag. But I know a 12 year old little boy that worked for weeks on setting up his place, that did not get to fill his bear tag. I wouldn't say he was out opportunitied either, he did pass on a sow and two smaller bears. I would just rather see a 12 yr old boy get to fill his tag with a bow than a 40 yr old man with a crossbow.

Age has nothing to do with it. Any of us that have hunted in the past has had our "hunter's dreams" shattered by not getting "the big one". We've all prepped our food plots, hung stands, cleared shooting lanes, filled feeders..... it's called H U N T I N G..... this 12 yr old boy will hunt again, and will prob get a bear at some point. His life will be filled with stories of the woods, good and bad. But just because you're 12, doesn't mean you fill your tag.

handlebar

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I was trying to make the point on the short draw lenth and arrow length onthe crossbows. Yes people will wound deer with everything and the crossbow will add to it.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Age has nothing to do with it. Any of us that have hunted in the past has had our "hunter's dreams" shattered by not getting "the big one". We've all prepped our food plots, hung stands, cleared shooting lanes, filled feeders..... it's called H U N T I N G..... this 12 yr old boy will hunt again, and will prob get a bear at some point. His life will be filled with stories of the woods, good and bad. But just because you're 12, doesn't mean you fill your tag.

I don't disagree with you. I was kinda shooting from the hip after seeing the results from the one day bear season.

Latest posts

Top Bottom