beat up 1911 basket case...whats it worth?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If the gun is complete and does function, of course when it is re-assembled, it's worth whatever a tacklebox gun is worth to the owner. To make it look better and to help it be corrosion resistant in the future you can bead blast the slide, frame, safeties and slide stop and have all of it Cerekoted. It will look pretty much like new.
Good luck

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd give $200 without batting an eye. A lot of draw filing and proper sanding will clean it right up. sand blast or replace the small parts, cerocote it and your good to go. I've reworked a lot of guns that looked worse than that.

68mustang

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I hear river/beater gun, a 1911 isn't the first gun that comes to mind. I'd find an older Glock, or XD for something that may get treated rough and put up wet, and or dirty...

The first function of a 1911 was for military use, and you don't think it would survive a dirty environment?

Dr_Mitch

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The first function of a 1911 was for military use, and you don't think it would survive a dirty environment?

Dirt is one thing, but steel guns don't hold up well when put away wet, and need regular lubing. Glocks and M&Ps have got a coating ferritic nitrocarburizing that is very highly resistant to corrosion and various types of wear.

Latest posts

Top Bottom