beat up 1911 basket case...whats it worth?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

becker_atc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So a friend of mine has this springfield 1911 thats been completely torn down and the finish stripped off (looks sanded :/ ). Looks like who ever had it forgot to oil it afterwords or something as there are some pits and such. He said it is all there less the thumb safety, which i have one from my springer that has an ambi. Looks pretty ugly to me and kinda been wanting a river gun (muddy bank fishing, night fishing, jon boat ect things get real gritty). I was going to put it together and function test it next time I am up that way.

Cell phone pics he sent me (warning graphic content!!!)

i607.photobucket.com_albums_tt156_cowboy_becker_IMG_7057.jpg

i607.photobucket.com_albums_tt156_cowboy_becker_IMG_5227.jpg

i607.photobucket.com_albums_tt156_cowboy_becker_IMG_4044.jpg

i607.photobucket.com_albums_tt156_cowboy_becker_IMG_2255.jpg

i607.photobucket.com_albums_tt156_cowboy_becker_IMG_2046.jpg

Well what does the experts have to say? whats it worth if it passes a function test?

oneof79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thumb safeties are fitted parts. Your spare may or may not work properly. If you don't care about looks and the gun functions I think it ought to be worth at least 300 bucks.
It would make a perfect platform to build a dedicated .22.

JonN06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I hear river/beater gun, a 1911 isn't the first gun that comes to mind. I'd find an older Glock, or XD for something that may get treated rough and put up wet, and or dirty...

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My first thought was, "Buy it cheap enough and it might be fine after it's cleaned up." However, the more I think about it most of those holes would have to be so oversized you'd probably have a hell of a time finding parts to fit.

Latest posts

Top Bottom