Benelli M1 or M2?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkV

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hmm lot,s of posts, but none of them shoot 3-gun or IPSC shotgun competition. I don't know very much but I do have a friend who shot a IPSC shotgun match once, so I will try to help out here.

An M1 or M2 is just fine, an M1 with a good recoil pad like a Kick-Eeze, or Limb-saver is THE same as an M2 with the comfort tech stock. The "preference for the M1" comes form the fact you can get a used M1 cheaper than a New M2, Both are just fine. I know a guy who has over 75,000 rounds through an M1 and it works just fine. Don't be afraid of a used one as hardly anyone will ever shoot that much. Just make sure no one has modified it so you can start from a clean slate.

Pistol grips are bad! The really mess up your swing in both directions and are hard to get to work on most Benellis. Only two of the top 10 action shooters use them and they just never win the shotgun stages.

Ghost ring Sights are bad. The block too much vision for rapid target acquisition A nice big fiber optic front with an express type rear sight or flip up open sight in the rear is what is winning.

Barrels between 21" and 24" are great.

M4s are way over priced and hard to modify for shotgun competition, save your money.

Which ever way you go, try to get a Field gun as opposed to a "tactical gun" as it will come with all sorts of shims and plated to fit the gun to you....THE most important thing in shotgunning whether it be action shooting or flying clay shooting.

Hope that helps. KurtM

You sure know a lot for knowing a guy guy who shot an IPSC shotgun match once. ;) Just wanted that posted again in case some one missed it.

Street Rat

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Hmm lot,s of posts, but none of them shoot 3-gun or IPSC shotgun competition. I don't know very much but I do have a friend who shot a IPSC shotgun match once, so I will try to help out here.

An M1 or M2 is just fine, an M1 with a good recoil pad like a Kick-Eeze, or Limb-saver is THE same as an M2 with the comfort tech stock. The "preference for the M1" comes form the fact you can get a used M1 cheaper than a New M2, Both are just fine. I know a guy who has over 75,000 rounds through an M1 and it works just fine. Don't be afraid of a used one as hardly anyone will ever shoot that much. Just make sure no one has modified it so you can start from a clean slate.

Pistol grips are bad! The really mess up your swing in both directions and are hard to get to work on most Benellis. Only two of the top 10 action shooters use them and they just never win the shotgun stages.

Ghost ring Sights are bad. The block too much vision for rapid target acquisition A nice big fiber optic front with an express type rear sight or flip up open sight in the rear is what is winning.

Barrels between 21" and 24" are great.

M4s are way over priced and hard to modify for shotgun competition, save your money.

Which ever way you go, try to get a Field gun as opposed to a "tactical gun" as it will come with all sorts of shims and plated to fit the gun to you....THE most important thing in shotgunning whether it be action shooting or flying clay shooting.

Hope that helps. KurtM

Thanks, this is the information I was looking for and was hoping that you would chime in. The salesman at H&H mentioned your name and said you know your way around a shotgun.

Is that the only difference between a field gun and a tactical, the shims and plated fit?

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That and a vent rib. I am real curious how anyone at H&H would know my name, or know anything about me. I have shot a couple of matches there, but never really talked to any of the staff.
The shims change pitch and the plates...oppps I typed plated my bad, change cast. KurtM

Street Rat

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I am real curious how anyone at H&H would know my name, or know anything about me.

Your reputation proceeds you. :) He is a guy about 5'9" a little on the heavy side, dark brown hair, maybe around 40. When I took my concealed carry class, they introduced him as a guy you could get additional handgun training with, he teaches some handgun classes up there.

Again, thanks for the information, everyone.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Your reputation proceeds you. :) He is a guy about 5'9" a little on the heavy side, dark brown hair, maybe around 40. When I took my concealed carry class, they introduced him as a guy you could get additional handgun training with, he teaches some handgun classes up there.

Again, thanks for the information, everyone.

Sounds like Will Andrews. I could see how he would know about KurtM.

Latest posts

Top Bottom