berrys vs Montana gold

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There isn't any comparison. Berry's are plated bullets with acceptable accuracy. Montana Gold bullets are jacketed and one of the top accuracy bullets, particularly in that price range.

I used to buy Berry's by the thousands. Unfortunately their prices got to the point I could order jacketed bullets that are better for about the same price. They always shot well for me in revolvers. In auto's, not so much.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There isn't any comparison. Berry's are plated bullets with acceptable accuracy. Montana Gold bullets are jacketed and one of the top accuracy bullets, particularly in that price range.

I used to buy Berry's by the thousands. Unfortunately their prices got to the point I could order jacketed bullets that are better for about the same price. They always shot well for me in revolvers. In auto's, not so much.

Big +1. I used tor order 147gr Berry's and then MGs in bulk were about the same price. No brainier for me. I figure Berry's will stay in business as long as there are people that don't know about MG.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
To me, plated just never made sense, as I had no need for subsonic clean loads, so if I was loading light, use lead, and you can't load plated as hot as a true jacketed round, so I just never had a use for them. That and they cost almost as a standard jacketed round.

TonyT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have used the Berry's and Rainier plated bullets with mild loads. I prefer the Montana Gold jacketed bullets which I can drive either at mild or full power velocities.

tul9033

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've switched to Montana Gold JHP's too. The bullet profile is very similar to the Hornady XTP so it's easy to find load data for.
Side by side tests have proven to me that the MG's are in fact more accurate.

tul9033

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From what I have gathered, the JHP's are formed from the base up resulting in a more uniform base and better accuracy. A standard FMJ is formed from the tip down and can have irregularities in the base.
I've shot both the Montana Gold CMJ and JHP and without a doubt the 124gr JHP is more accurate than the CMJ. You can also see some irregularities in the base on the CMJ where they have inserted the copper disk.
For what we are using them for probably doesn't matter much.

Edit: +1 on the smoke with exposed core bullets. The CMJ has a copper disc over the core to reduce/stop the smoke.

Latest posts

Top Bottom