Best bang for the buck .308?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cowboy2000

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I got a savage axis in 308. If I had to to do it over, I would have spent the extra 150-200$ for the Accutrigger. The recoil and the stiff triggering makes for shooting that is not real accurate.

Garand

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Savage 11 Hog Hunter.

.308, factory threaded heavy barrel, accutrigger, and only ~$450.

$427 at Buds

Then get you a better stock:

B&C A2 $215

You know, Academy up here has both the Precision Carbine and the Hog hunter in stock. They look to have the same barrel with the obvious addition of the sights on the Hog hunter and addition of a DBM on the Carbine. I like the DBM, and I like the idea of having BUIS on a scoped rifle, but I think the rear sight would require you to mount the scope higher than I would like.

What is the difference between a Savage Model 10 and Model 11?

Garand

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In my opinion, don't go out-of-the-box.

Get the cheapest Remington 700 Skinny barrel beater in .308 or .243 you can find and throw the barrel away. Go have Steve Baldwin in Mechanical Accuracy (Jones, OK) blueprint the action and barrel it in .308 with one of his Hart barrels in whatever profile / thread-pattern you want (he does fluting too - and his prices on Hart Barrels are impossible to beat).

Get a decent base on it and put it in a B&C Medalist stock with the aluminum bedding block and you're set.

If you want bottom-metal on the cheap, check out PTG's bottom metal setup. Ruger's Gunsite Scout rifle is using Accuracy International's magazine setup, so you can get mags on the cheap as well (if you wan the uber-cheap plastic mags, you have to modify them so that the Remington bolt will strip a round off the top reliably).

Hit up Palmetto State Armory for some Federal American Eagle 168gr M1A 7.62 NATO Open Tip Match ammo (for $.83/round - I honestly can't tell the difference in this and the Federal Gold Medal Match 168gr Sierra MatchKing BTHP when shooting out of either of my rigs).

You can get into reliable long-range shooting for cheap now days - we have way more options that we used to.

What kind of money are we talking when you say blueprinting and rebarreling? ballpark I've only ever sent one rifle (M1 Garand)off to have pros do their thing, and I know it wasn't cheap.

Having a rifle built to my exact specifications is always the ideal way to go (and I've done it multiple times), but with so many great out of the box options these days it MIGHT not be the best way financially? But that's why I started this thread, I don't know for sure and all I know is that when I think custom work, I think $$$$.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What kind of money are we talking when you say blueprinting and rebarreling? ballpark I've only ever sent one rifle (M1 Garand)off to have pros do their thing, and I know it wasn't cheap.

Having a rifle built to my exact specifications is always the ideal way to go (and I've done it multiple times), but with so many great out of the box options these days it MIGHT not be the best way financially? But that's why I started this thread, I don't know for sure and all I know is that when I think custom work, I think $$$$.

Call Steve and ask him how much for a Blueprint and re-barrel to one of his Hart barrels (your choice of length/profile/goodies). A blueprinted factory action isn't anywhere near a GAP or Surgeon action.

(405) 399 - 2875

Having a blueprinted action / custom-cut barrel is probably the most consistency/accuracy you can get bang-for-buck wise. A decent stock, and a decent trigger added to that make for a gun that will hang with almost any uber-expensive brand rig out there.

Plus you can do it in stages. Buy the rifle first. You really can't go wrong with either a Savage or Remington if you're planning on having it blueprinted/re-barrelled. If you're not planning on a trip to the smith, then get a Savage (though their prices have gone up to the point that they're not that uber-great deal anymore). Shoot it for a bit while you're saving up for the smith. Then when you get it back, you'll truly appreciate the upgrade in accuracy.

All of that being said, the link to that Savage is a good deal and I'm starring at it pretty intently (I've PM'd the guy and he still had it a few days ago), so I'd honestly prefer you buy it so I don't end up with another bolt-gun.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I got my R700 action squared and a new barrel installed for $350.