Best bang for the buck .308?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garand

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm looking to put together a .308 (originally I was set on a .260, but aren't setup for reloading and the availability(local) of factory ammo is a joke). 308 is available even in match loads at quite a few local places. So to minimize how many different calibers I need to keep on hand I decided to settle on another 308 for now.

I THINK I want to buy a decent out of the box rifle, add GOOD glass to put on it and go from there. I know there are quite a few rifles that will shoot MOA or less straight out of the box, and at sub $1k prices.

I have a Gemtech HVT that I'd like to run on it as well, so factory threading is a nice perk, but not necessary since threading isn't to expensive.

I'd like to stick with a 20" barrel at the most.

Here are a few models I've found in my searches. what are your opinions of these rifles, or others that I should be considering?

Model: 10 Precision Carbine
Remington 700 SPS Tactical
Rem 700 XCR Compact Tactical
Remington 700 AAC

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rem 700 SPS because it's the cheapest base. Add your own stock and thread as you mentioned. Overall price will likely be less than going with the other two.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Savage all the way - in case your factory barrel just doesn't cut the mustard, you can switch it at home. Barrel length irrelevant - it can be shortened when threaded.

Remington guys like to talk about how barrel is getting shipped, how it's going to the gunsmith, how the action is getting trued, how it's getting cerakoted, how the trigger is on the way, how stock is getting bedded - and most of all, how a guy on internet shoots cloverleaves with the same setup :P
Basically the trick to get the Remington shooting - is to use as few Remington parts as possible - none at best (just the footprint).

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Savage all the way - in case your factory barrel just doesn't cut the mustard, you can switch it at home. Barrel length irrelevant - it can be shortened when threaded.

Remington guys like to talk about how barrel is getting shipped, how it's going to the gunsmith, how the action is getting trued, how it's getting cerakoted, how the trigger is on the way, how stock is getting bedded - and most of all, how a guy on internet shoots cloverleaves with the same setup :P
Basically the trick to get the Remington shooting - is to use as few Remington parts as possible - none at best (just the footprint).

LOL! And I agree. I had a Savage 110 Tactical in 300 win mag, and a 10fp in .308, both were 3/4 MOA out of the box with factory ammo and a mediocre shooter behind it.

Maverick21

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Savage 11 Hog Hunter.

.308, factory threaded heavy barrel, accutrigger, and only ~$450.

$427 at Buds

Then get you a better stock:

B&C A2 $215

Yup. I picked up one of those a few months ago. Only had it out a couple times to get it dialed in. Yet to see just how well it will shoot. An aftermarket stock would be great. The factory one leaves much to be desired. Need to get it back out and give a range report.

Latest posts

Top Bottom