Judge blocks new ATF rule

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a .22 suppressor and some sub-sonic ammo I'm itching to try out. I saw a guy shooting one on YouTube and it really was whisper quiet but my .45 with a suppressor was none too quiet. They should really be called hearing protectors. It's just BS anyway, I have yet to read about a crime committed with a suppressor.
Pretty much all you hear with good subsonic 22 lr and a suppressor out of a rifle is a firing pin strike and bullet impact, BUT all subsonic 22 ammo isn’t the same. CCI Quiet is quiet, but it’s also very inconsistent accuracy wise. RWS is quiet and extremely accurate.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Back in the "gangster days" suppressors were in common use. That is why the gubberment decided to regulate them. Required for hunting in some European countries.
Doesn't matter that they are not quiet, hollywood BS rules.
The bills presented before congress have always included the nomenclature that it's a hearing protection bill, but in the weeks before, it seems there is always some wierdo that wants to shoot up a school or something.
I read somewhere once that the Gov. started regulating them because they didn't want people poaching game for food during the Depression. Must have been the start of them wanting our food supply controlled.

Ahall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the "potential inability of a gun owner to acquire a FFL " is interesting.

If you review the paperwork to get an FFL, its a business license, not a personal license. The average guy selling modern stuff does not own or operate a business to issue the license to, so he can't get one. The cost of the license is not insignificant, but not insurmountable either.

The C&R is an exception that a person can get, but it's for a specific class of arms, not all arms.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m uncertain what could prevent such an owner from acquiring a FFL. Is it cost-prohibitive such that it discriminates against persons in lower- or fixed-income brackets?
The initial costs to get the FFL and other business licenses and LLC (or other business models) in place are possibly a turn-off for many. Not to mention the tax reporting required.

Over the life of the license, you could save money on your purchases if you can get accounts with distributors. At the very least, you'd save money on transfer fees by being able to have what you buy shipped to your licensed address.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

If you review the paperwork to get an FFL, its a business license, not a personal license. The average guy selling modern stuff does not own or operate a business to issue the license to, so he can't get one. The cost of the license is not insignificant, but not insurmountable either.

The C&R is an exception that a person can get, but it's for a specific class of arms, not all arms.

The ATF does expect you to plan on operating a business . . .

https://www.ffl123.com/how-to-get-ffl-in-oklahoma/#:~:text=To get an FFL, the,can legally own a firearm.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The initial costs to get the FFL and other business licenses and LLC (or other business models) in place are possibly a turn-off for many. Not to mention the tax reporting required.

Over the life of the license, you could save money on your purchases if you can get accounts with distributors. At the very least, you'd save money on transfer fees by being able to have what you buy shipped to your licensed address.
My wife’s uncle had a FFL for several years but let it go a couple years ago to avoid the hassle. He told stories about getting a call at 8am by an “auditor” saying that they would be at his house by 9am. I’m not sure if this is a common practice, but it happened to him more than once. Before he retired, he had to take off work to be there. That’s a chickenchit way to conduct business, and they never found any problems with his records.
He has plenty money, so cost of getting it or having it wasn’t an issue.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree. WK doesn’t just read the text of the ruling, he also offers some commentary on what the various provisions of the ruling mean. Armed Scholar started out well early in his YT career, but I feel the quality of his videos has fallen off quite a bit since. He also talks much faster than any other YT author I’ve ever seen - I’d have no clue what he was saying if it wasn’t for the captioning, and even that sometimes falls behind his rapid-fire delivery.

Regarding the temporary injunction, hurrah. But I found it curious that the ruling mentioned the potential inability of a gun owner to acquire a FFL as being grounds for appeal of the ATF’s “engaged in the business” rule. I do not think it should be necessary for a gun owner to have to acquire a FFL to add to or dispose of his/her personal collection, just for the record; but I’m uncertain what could prevent such an owner from acquiring a FFL. Is it cost-prohibitive such that it discriminates against persons in lower- or fixed-income brackets?

I'd still oppose the move on constitutional grounds, but if ATF really wanted to implement this, they'd petition Congress to make obtaining an FFL "shall issue" with no cost to obtain.

Latest posts

Top Bottom