When is it scariest to drive where you are?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd guess it has more to do with the end of the day in education--high schoolers and college kids being done for the day and soccer moms/dads picking up their kids. I'm kind of surprised at it being that timeframe, as 8-5 seems to be the norm for business hours in Oklahoma, so I'd expect 7:30-8:00am or 5:00-5:30pm to be the dangerous times.

Or maybe it's just Tulsa where it seems that way...
You would be correct. As a retired Highway designer, it was part of my job to design for the Peak traffic volumes which were 7:00 am till 8:30 am and 4:30 pm till around 6:30 pm.
Max peaks were 7:30am and 5:30pm at any given city location, beyond that it went to lower counts slowly. I-40 and I-44 interchange (the K interchange soon to become a 4 level reconstruct that I did the conceptual design for) carries approximately, IIRC, 380,000 cars a day and thats an old number so its higher now. I-44 is 4 lanes and warrants 8 lanes coming as soon as the money does.
That will be a billion dollar project likely split into about 10 phases.
I used to drive 32 miles 1 way to work from Tuttle to the capitol area and had to be at the office at 7:30am and left at 5:00pm.
That was the worst part of my entire day no matter what else came along. When covid came along and I worked from home and later I retired, this very thing was my favorite part on day 1.
My second favorite part is I no longer get up at 6:00 am unless its to go pee lol.

Last edited:

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Oklahoma Autobahn (Turner Trnpk) is the fastest, most scariest road in all of Okie land.
Shoot, Bubba, you ought to try highway 169 and the Creek Turnpike in Tulsa around 5pm. The Turner ain't a stitch on it--and at least the Turner has decent approaches and merge lanes, and it doesn't have traffic backed up onto the highway because Tulsa has this unnatural, bordering on the obscene, fascination with having 10-car lights at intersections with 100-car traffic.

It's almost as bad as their fetish for having the only green lights at an intersection being on the one direction that has no cars present or approaching.

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Shoot, Bubba, you ought to try highway 169 and the Creek Turnpike in Tulsa around 5pm. The Turner ain't a stitch on it--and at least the Turner has decent approaches and merge lanes, and it doesn't have traffic backed up onto the highway because Tulsa has this unnatural, bordering on the obscene, fascination with having 10-car lights at intersections with 100-car traffic.

It's almost as bad as their fetish for having the only green lights at an intersection being on the one direction that has no cars present or approaching.

Oh, we live right off the Creek. I have more time logged on that than any other turnpike in the state. And I drive the state for a living.
And from about 2p-6p, I refuse to drive 169.

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You would be correct. As a retired Highway designer, it was part of my job to design for the Peak traffic volumes which were 7:00 am till 8:30 am and 4:30 pm till around 6:30 pm.
Max peaks were 7:30am and 5:30pm at any given city location, beyond that it went to lower counts slowly. I-40 and I-44 interchange (the K interchange soon to become a 4 level reconstruct that I did the conceptual design for) carries approximately, IIRC, 380,000 cars a day and thats an old number so its higher now. I-44 is 4 lanes and warrants 8 lanes coming as soon as the money does.
That will be a billion dollar project likely split into about 10 phases.
I used to drive 32 miles 1 way to work from Tuttle to the capitol area and had to be at the office at 7:30am and left at 5:00pm.
That was the worst part of my entire day no matter what else came along. When covid came along and I worked from home and later I retired, this very thing was my favorite part on day 1.
My second favorite part is I no longer get up at 6:00 am unless its to go pee lol.

Are you to blame for all the circle on’s and off’s on the highways and interstates? If so, curse you! Those traffic devices are so dangerous when you have 25mph traffic trying to merge with 65-75mph traffic, it’s a disaster recipe.

Fly overs and diverging diamonds all the way!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom