Anybody got a short explanation of Indian Tribal lands in Oklahoma?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bubbaturbo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I hunt on private property in Garvin County which appears to be entirely in the Chickasaw Nation boundaries. I have never, to my knowledge, seen any Indian officials/police anywhere in Pauls Valley, Wynnewood, etc. What is the impact or significance of the Indian Nation boundaries on Non-Indian me? Is a reservation something different?

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If it's private property, it's private property.

The whole "reservation" language has been used recently in regards to the child molester McGirt decision regarding tribal jurisdiction.

The only consideration is if it's not private land and is managed by the BIA. (much of Payne and Pawnee areas are like this) If that were the case, one needs to find out the owners, get written permission, and an applicable hunting license from the tribe.

Big House

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I hunt on private property in Garvin County which appears to be entirely in the Chickasaw Nation boundaries. I have never, to my knowledge, seen any Indian officials/police anywhere in Pauls Valley, Wynnewood, etc. What is the impact or significance of the Indian Nation boundaries on Non-Indian me? Is a reservation something different?
I hunted, rode dirtbikes and ATV's on tribal land many moons ago. However, that was before every tribe in NE Oklahoma had their own police department. 30+ yrs ago. Now, the land is posted every 300 ft. Enter at your own risk or call the tribe that owns the land and ask permission. Speak to chief, not some flunky. Or, it's better to ask for forgiveness than ask and be denied.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
If it's private property, it's private property.

The whole "reservation" language has been used recently in regards to the child molester McGirt decision regarding tribal jurisdiction.

The only consideration is if it's not private land and is managed by the BIA. (much of Payne and Pawnee areas are like this) If that were the case, one needs to find out the owners, get written permission, and an applicable hunting license from the tribe.

A friend and myself thought we found an incredible place to hunt once. Three quarters together, canyons, timber, two big ponds, agriculture on the neighbor's. We knew it was trust land, so no big deal we thought. Turns out there were over 50 people on the trust, and we needed signatures from them all lol. That's where our pursuit ended.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why do tribes have any land? I thought the evil white man took it all.
The Pawnee land I hunt on was part of an original 160 acre allotment.
They Pawnee asked to come to Oklahoma after the Massacre Canyon incident where Natives were murdered and raped, bodies mutilated.

You probably haven't heard of that because it doesn't fit the narrative.

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Pawnee land I hunt on was part of an original 160 acre allotment.
They Pawnee asked to come to Oklahoma after the Massacre Canyon incident where Natives were murdered and raped, bodies mutilated.

You probably haven't heard of that because it doesn't fit the narrative.
The narrative? Wait… so you mean the tribes were brutal towards each other and all injustices weren’t just committed by the evil white folks?

Latest posts

Top Bottom