Anybody got a short explanation of Indian Tribal lands in Oklahoma?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Boy this all sounds pretty complicated. Sounds like something the government would do to an oppressed people though… Basically suppress them with the intricacies.

So y’all are saying, technically, the tribes don’t have much here? Everything held in a trust that doesn’t really benefit the individual?

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Boy this all sounds pretty complicated. Sounds like something the government would do to an oppressed people though… Basically suppress them with the intricacies.

So y’all are saying, technically, the tribes don’t have much here? Everything held in a trust that doesn’t really benefit the individual?
In my experience, it's complicated, convoluted and extremely inconsistent. As far as hunting and fishing goes, I think you are pretty safe following ODWC and .fed regs and having the right licenses and stamps.

JokerofDeath

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm still confused.
Reservations and Indian Territory were created through the Indian Removal Act and the ideas of Manifest Destiny. As time went on, settlers began to trickle into Indian Territory and lobbied for the open settlement of it. The Government began to a take the “excess” lands out West from tribes and opened them up for the Land Run. As time went on the idea of the State of Oklahoma came about and out came the Allotment Act. The Act split up communal tribal lands and split them amongst members, as well as the Dawes Act. However because of previous treaties with the 5 tribes the state lost jurisdiction of their territories and members with McGirt. Does this affect you? No unless you’re tribal member OR are doing something illegal in tribal territory. As far as hunting goes there are compacts with the state and tribes to allow non-members to hunt and fish within their territories as long as they have valid state hunting and fishing licenses. It is a lot more complicated than this but that scratches the main points.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Boy this all sounds pretty complicated.
It’s definitely complicated. Indian law is a specialized area of the law for a reason—there’s a lot of interplay among state, federal, and tribal laws that has been messy for over 200 years and doesn’t show any signs of becoming any less complicated any time soon.

bubbaturbo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So to make my question more specific.
I have a state issued concealed carry permit.
It appears that a huge part of Oklahoma is "tribal lands".
Is my permit good on "tribal lands"?
Is my permit good on an "Indian reservation" which do still seem to exist?
Is there a difference between "tribal lands" and an Indian reservation? And if so, what are the basic differences?

So, if I'm walking around in Pauls Valley, for instance, (which lies in the Chickasaw tribal lands) with a pistol on my hip, does the Chickasaw tribe have the right to arrest me if they don't recognize my permit? I never see any law enforcement except state troopers, county deputies and city cops but could the tribes patrol there if they wanted to?

JokerofDeath

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So to make my question more specific.
I have a state issued concealed carry permit.
It appears that a huge part of Oklahoma is "tribal lands".
Is my permit good on "tribal lands"?
Is my permit good on an "Indian reservation" which do still seem to exist?
Is there a difference between "tribal lands" and an Indian reservation? And if so, what are the basic differences?

So, if I'm walking around in Pauls Valley, for instance, (which lies in the Chickasaw tribal lands) with a pistol on my hip, does the Chickasaw tribe have the right to arrest me if they don't recognize my permit? I never see any law enforcement except state troopers, county deputies and city cops but could the tribes patrol there if they wanted to?
Yes to your permits unless otherwise posted (like everywhere else). Again there are tribal compacts with the state that allow this.

Tribal territories and reservations are different. Indian territory is just a territory that was once a reservation but is now open to everyone unless specifically owned by the tribe for whatever reasons. Tribes have jurisdiction over their lands, property and tribal members throughout their territory ONLY. A reservation is an annexed part that abides by their own tribal government and laws with oversight from the BIA. Only tribal members live there and only the tribes and the feds have jurisdiction there. There you would have to ask permission to carry a weapon from the tribal chief.

The tribal cops can patrol, arrest, and issue citations in their territories and often work together with local police and OHP. They are federal cops and most have been commissioned by CLEET to enforce local laws just like local cops in Indian territories are commissioned by the BIA to enforce laws on tribal members.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
On a reservation, there is no private land ownership.

In Oklahoma, there are tribal jurisdictional boundaries that are (from what I've seen) meant more for tribal business operations and member benefits. You can live within a tribal jurisdiction here in Oklahoma but still own land privately.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
. Some tribes pretty much manage all of their affairs, while others don't have the courts, LE agencies or administration to do so, so the feds do it for them.
Some tribes became so corrupted that the feds now run the LE agency and oversee the tribal affairs. We have one in our area.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
On a reservation, there is no private land ownership.

In Oklahoma, there are tribal jurisdictional boundaries that are (from what I've seen) meant more for tribal business operations and member benefits. You can live within a tribal jurisdiction here in Oklahoma but still own land privately.
Not minerals in Osage County. You only own the top 12” of the property. If minerals like rocks are on the surface, you can’t disturb them without a permit from the tribe. SCOTUS recently affirmed this.

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Owning only certain depths of soil on a property? Federal cops? No private land ownership? Boy it sounds like natives have it great…

Only when the last tree has died, the last river been poisoned, and the last fish been caught… will you realize you can’t eat money

Latest posts

Top Bottom