Best Budget Rifle poll

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Best Budget Hunting Rifle for deer/hogs

• Mossberg ATR 100

Votes: 10 17.9%
  • Remington 770

Votes: 8 14.3%
  • Savage Axis/Edge

Votes: 11 19.6%
  • Weatherby Vanguard

Votes: 14 25.0%
  • H&R one-shots

Votes: 13 23.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
One thing to consider is, if you will be happy with a synthetic stock.

I personally don't care for them, mostly because to me, it throws off the balance of the rifle making it too front heavy.

Also, because of the light weight of synthetic stock, there is also more felt recoil.

That being said, if you are not much into aesthetics, and will be carrying the rifle a lot, synthetic might be right for you.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
How does he/you like the adjustable trigger?

How is the fit and finish on the rifle?

the trigger is the key to that thing.shoots like a dream. the fit and finish is what it is. plastic stock and dull/parkerized metal can only look so good.
he had a rem 710 before that and was only getting 3-4 inch groups at 100 yards. i've shot a friends 710 in 270 that was very accurate though.
if you could come up with another 150 bucks(after scope) the remington 700 would be my next chioce only because i've had a couple and are familiar with them. but i've heard great things about the marlins and weatherbys.

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here is a sporterized Mauser in 28o Rem for $325:

http://www.armslist.com/posts/310913/oklahoma-city-oklahoma-rifles-for-sale-trade--280-mauser

I saw a 7mm Mauser, bubba-ed the other day for $160 (I think). It's gone now.

Hard to go wrong with a H&R though.

http://www.armslist.com/posts/33057...or-sale-trade--h-r-30-06-handi-rifle-w--scope

Here is a .243:

http://www.armslist.com/posts/257411/tulsa-oklahoma-rifles-for-sale--nef-handi-rifle--243

Look at me, I'm an armslist ad man. What next, a lawyer??? Used cars?????

3inSlugger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone who posted!!
After some of the comments, I think I'll pass on the Axis and 770. The H&Rs don't seem cost efficient even though they are awesome.
The Vanguards are a little more than I'm willing to spend after adding scope+mounts.

I think I'll start looking for either a Marlin Xl7 or a Mossberg ATR in .270. If anyone has one to sell...PM me :chat:.

Thanks again!

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Mossy 100 ATR in .270 WIN and I like it alot. I probably only have 50 rounds through it, maybe less than that even. It seems to be getting more accurate the more I shoot it. I will say that the stock leaves something to be desired no doubt but for a budget rifle it is what it is. The stock is the only thing I would change on mine, and now you can. Boyd's gun stocks recently came out with replacements and I am looking into it simply because I want a wood stock. Will look way better IMO.

I have dies and am going to try and get some loads developed for it and see what it is really capable of. As of now it will shoot right around an inch, but I'm no established marksman so it could be capable of more. Keep in mind this is with store bought Rem core lokt ammo which I have actually found to shoot the best so far. A cheap rifle that shoots the cheapest ammo out there the best? I'm not complaining.

Erick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's not on the list but my vote would be for the Tikka T3. Deals can be found for under $500 so it fits your criteria. I've purchased two here, both for $500 or under. These rifles are amazing in my opinion. The barrel/action and triggers are top notch. My only gripe is the plastic used in the bolt shroud and two position safety that doesn't allow you to work that action on "safe". If is wasn't for that, it would be almost perfect but it would also be called a Sako and cost a lot more.

As far as details;

Trigger: Breaks like glass, better than my Remington 700.
Action: Buttery butter smooth, like butter.
Barrel: Hammer forged, more accurate that most guns under 1K.
Stock: I love the walnut stock, it's very nice. The Synthetic works great, but is a little light so the recoil is heavier.

Also has built in base and comes with rings.

Latest posts

Top Bottom