Best place to buy a suit?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
What kind of price range are you looking at to have one made? I was thinking if I could stay around $500 or so I could get a nice quality one that will last for a while.

Probably $600 to $800 for an entry level bespoke suit. I got one made as a gift for one of my interns when he passed the bar exam and I think I paid in that range. It looks good. The stuff I buy is more, but I have custom linings in both the pants and jackets, also buttons and stitching are custom.

PM me and I'll send you my guy's name and number.

bulbboy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Ludlow suits at JCrew are pretty good for off the rack. Almost everything still needs to be tailored. Also try the suits at Banana Republic and the INC brand at Macy's.

Those tend not to be boxy like most department stores

kd5rjz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The secret is fit. Fit. FIT. Where you buy is less important than where you take it after you get it.

As far as chains go, J. Crew and Banana Republic are probably the best in the area. Seriously - they are rather good suits. Dillards will have better brand and fit selection though (as the others will be more modern/slim cuts). Then probably Men's Warehouse, then Macy, then Kohls and Penney then Burlington. You can also find awesome deals at thrift stores and consignment shops if you look. Just make sure the shoulders and chest fit is superb, and let a tailor handle the waist and the sleeves., Two button is generally better than three or one. Dark is generally safer than light (try grey or navy).

Last suit I got I needed for the next day (bleh), so it was off the rack separates and Kohl's won out. But honestly I will probably try to get my next suit pre-owned and have it tailored.

I'll second Banana Republic. The best bet for suites in the Tulsa area is to have a browse through Utica Square - lots of options there, including the only Saks around.

If you're looking for a deal, there's "Off Fifth" in KC.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought mine at JCPenny's. I checked Burlington here in Tulsa and it was all garbage. I think I spent $250 total on a jacket, vest, shirt, tie, and pants for a friend's wedding.

Anybody else share this opinion? I know they're not top-notch Brooks Brothers kind of stuff, but maybe I just have never seen anything nice. I mean, I'll admit, I've never owned an Armani, and it's unlikely I ever will... or anything in that same range. I guess my taste just sucks.

If I make it the rest of my life never having to buy or wear a suit again, or even a tie, I'll be one happy MFer.

Latest posts

Top Bottom