Best scope for a Remington 700 SPS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeerAssassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Budget?

Whatever you do, don't go cheap. Even if you have to wait a while to afford a decent scope, it's money better spent as opposed to buying a Barska/ NC Star/ BSA/ Simmons or whatever and then ending up selling it at a big loss when you realize it pretty much sucks.

Yeah I don't buy this. In our hunting camp this year the most expensive scope on a rifle was the $150 Tasco on my dads .300 Win Mag, and it kills deer just as dead as a $600 Leupold, including low light conditions. His rifle doe last year was killed 5 minutes after the sun started popping up, and his buck the same day at late dusk.

The most i'd ever think of spending on a deer hunting scope is $200, and thats pushing it.

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah I don't buy this. In our hunting camp this year the most expensive scope on a rifle was the $150 Tasco on my dads .300 Win Mag, and it kills deer just as dead as a $600 Leupold, including low light conditions. His rifle doe last year was killed 5 minutes after the sun started popping up, and his buck the same day at late dusk.

The most i'd ever think of spending on a deer hunting scope is $200, and thats pushing it.

Well, there you have it. The entire US Army, Marine Corps, Navy, Air Force and USDOJ have it wrong, and your 2 deer illustration is proof....?

Shooting deer is no different than shooting bad guys or paper, as far as the scope is concerned.

The point of my post is to encourage the OP to go and try as many out himself, using dimly lit objects at a distance to judge clarity. If he, you, me or anyone else reaches a point where there is no appreciable difference in clarity, then a threshold has been reached and it's time to look at reticle choices, warranty, etc..

Good scopes can be had in the $300-$400 range, but don't fool yourself into believing that you're going to pick your point of aim on a deer, surrounded by deer colored brush in the shadows at 250 yards, 25 minutes after sundown with a crappy scope.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Hmm. Never thought of it like that.

WTS: Night Force.

Donald

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since I am an old fart, my opinion counts more than others. lol... Seriously, A Bushnell Trophy 3-9x 40 should do you well with a 30-06. Crap, I hunted Colorado about a 100 years ago with a 30-06 and used a Weaver 2.5. Never failed to get my deer or elk. And it is a good sturdy scope, the Bushnell Trophy. The last two I bought I paid less than $70 for each. Now they typically run over a hunert.

Donald

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here ya go and I'm gonna get bashed since I think the Leupold brand is nothing short of a name these days even the mark 4 I know you can do better! Your going to hunt deer and more than likely kill some pesky paper targets probably more paper than deer, I don't have a clue as to what you would like to spend but think you would be hard pressed to beat a simple Bushnell 3200 or 4200 in the max power range of say 12x or 14x don't waste your time with adjustable objectives as it ends up screwing you up when hunting or the side adjustable and truth I would just pick up a simple 3-9x40mm I don't see a good reason to go with 50mm except to make up for cheap glass in a scope, yes I have a couple of 50mm scopes but would rather have the 40mm the scopes I shoot they just don't make them in 40mm. I have shot targets out to 1k with a straight 10x so you don't really NEED more than a 9x for most hunting ranges UNLESS your going to kill some very agressive paper targets and are shooting for groups.

If this is going to be a hunting rifle and your hunting close to home even a cheap @$$ banner scope would be fine I had one and it was great for p-dogs on my 223. DON'T waste your money on a BSA (Barely See Anything) but an old Tasco with Japanese glass is still an ok scope I have one that I would swear by it's not a Nightforce or a S&B or even an IOR but all I know is that it works.

If it were ME I would get one of the Bushnell 3200 in 3-9x 40mm put it in a good set of rings like Warne or Seekins with a good 1 pc base like EGW, Seekins or Ken Farrell with a little drop of blue loktite torque to spec and call it good. Later,

Kirk

Latest posts

Top Bottom