Best web host and domain service?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dowmace

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
For those in the business, who has been the best web host and domain provider for you? I'm looking at building a website again and it seem like all the big guys **cough** godaddy play the bait and switch game. Domains for $2.99! But by the time you get to checkout it's suddenly $12.99 and I can't see where the other 10 bucks went. I don't necessarily want the cheapest in the game but don't want to get ripped off either. I don't need a builder or any of that crap I can code myself I just need the domain and some server space.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The domains that I register are done through Namecheap.

I provide hosting (see sig - contact for a special OSA rate), but only for Drupal sites with a few very limited exceptions (i.e. I'm hosting OKShooters.com, which is currently vBulletin).

After SoonerStatePawn.com was having issues with their shared hosting provider shutting down their site for too much traffic, I moved them to one of my servers.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In case you wondered about the "you-get-what-you-pay-for" in the hosting world, check out what happened with some of the more popular hosts yesterday (really just different brands of the same company usually running on the same hardware and sometimes even sharing staff, which is common in hosting).

I'm wondering if it really took them that long to diagnose the problem, considering it started at least before 11AM. Also, this is why we devopsy folk don't like to make any changes (upgrades, maintenance, config, etc) on Fridays. (In fact, it's official policy here... no changes on Fridays except to recover from an emergency.)

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I register my domains through domain monster, Get some decent price breaks especially if you have multiple names.

The bad thing about hosting is most of the companies out there have their servers in a farm with hundreds of other companies because it makes it cost effective. I can't afford a full on server with what I host so shared does pretty good for me and though I do share a server with others I have cPanel access and it's night and day compared to some of the super companies like 1&1 or GoDaddy who pack the servers as full as possible.

Latest posts

Top Bottom