Bifocals, multi-focals, progressive lenses, and other sugar-coated names

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I turned 40 a couple years back my eyesight started going south a bit. So anyway, today I got bifocals. My optometrist joked around asking if it helped if he referred to them as "multi-focals". Wow these things are odd. Sometimes, depending on where your eyes are in relation to the lenses, they will take a straight line and turn it into a curved line. Gonna take some getting used to, that's for sure. I've heard 2 or 3 days to sorta get the feel of them. They sure are nice for looking down and reading fine print and detailed items though. Aging sucks! :hithead:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wait until you shoot with bifocals. Bifocals will help with the sights, but the target will be blurred at times. It all depends on your level.
I'm going to have to get some "shooting glasses" made.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like you have the "no line" bifocals.

I tried those as my first pair of glasses and they drove me nuts.

The "bent lines" were troublesome and it felt funny walking.

I switched to regular bifocals.

My biggest problem is that I have a very narrow depth of field for my focus at different distances. It takes a while to zero in the right prescription. I finally took to measuring how far it was from my eyes to the book when I read or the computer screen and we worked off of that to get it into my sweet spot.

Dave

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I feel your pain. I'm currently fighting the need to wear reading glasses, and my last eye exam (yearly for work) I was told that was the last passing grade I was going to get. He said in five years I'd be wearing bifocals. Ugh. I'm slowly accepting the sad facts.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like you have the "no line" bifocals.

I tried those as my first pair of glasses and they drove me nuts.

The "bent lines" were troublesome and it felt funny walking.

I switched to regular bifocals.

My biggest problem is that I have a very narrow depth of field for my focus at different distances. It takes a while to zero in the right prescription. I finally took to measuring how far it was from my eyes to the book when I read or the computer screen and we worked off of that to get it into my sweet spot.

Dave

Yep, the are the no line type. I picked them up yesterday at noon and wore them for around 12 hours, finishing with a low-grade headache. We'll see how they do today.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I feel your pain. I'm not quite to the point that I need any correction, but I've noticed that my up close focus has tapered off and it takes longer to refocus between distances. Getting older sucks.

Latest posts

Top Bottom