Bifocals, multi-focals, progressive lenses, and other sugar-coated names

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You ain't seen nothin' yet. Wait 'till you get really old.

Actually, I think you'll like no-lines once you get used to them. The exception is if you got a pair of those relatively narrow (top-to-bottom) glasses. There's often just not enough room in those to hold all the necessary info. That's why I had to go back to lined.

I once had no-line trifocals and they really helped me. But, that was back when big was in.

I really like transition lenses.

By the way, flatwins, hearing aids are next.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I tried the noline for about 6 months. Just couldn't get used to having to move my head back and forth to read the newspaper instead of using the eyes.
At work, I have so much to do overhead that I tried the bifocals that have a bifocal above and below the center line. Talk about getting screwed up!

Backstrap

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went through the bifocal problems when I turned 40 (seems like many, many years ago...). I wear contacts; couldn't stand carrying around reading glasses. Fortunately I have a kind and patient optometrist who listens; he tried several combinations of bifocal contacts on me until I found the setup I still use - bifocal contacts with two different reading adjustments (stronger in the left, weaker in the right). Took my brain a few days to learn where the bifocal rings are and where to focus for distance vs. up close, but once I did I put away the reading glasses and never looked back.

okietool

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got my first bifocals when I was 12, then skipped several pair having bifocals and now I am back to having them. I've had lenses that change color according to the light they receive (and how cold they are) since they started making them. You adjust. I am near sighted, now my in reall close 2-12" vision is deteriorating too (the optometrist tells me that is natural). So look for it to get worse before it gets better.

Have a nice day.

ultimase

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Presbyopia is when the ability to accommodate as normal is lost.This ability is what allows you to see in the distance clearly and the make things clear at close. Around 40-60 this ability is normally lost. This is why you need bifocals to help with the near.

Cataracts is the natural clouding of the natural lens secondary to UV, environment and mostly age.

Now the removal of cataracts through surgery is the only way to clear the cataracts. Only with any type of surgery there are risks that you can come out worse than going in. Because of this there is normally some guidelines that have to be met before most places will consider surgery.

Now the removal of the natural lens will not bring the ability to accommodate back. There are some IOLS that say that they can accommodate but these are in their infancy at this time.

Latest posts

Top Bottom