"big boy" tree stands

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjones96761

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
most manufactured tree stands have a weight capacity of 300lbs, some only 250. I'm 6'2" 280lb. add in winter clothing, pack and rifle and I'm tippin' that if not over. Even if I do venture into one of these death traps, they still seem to be designed for a 5'8" 120lb dude. they're small everywhere.
Therefore I've resorted to building my own. quite comfortable, about the same cost, solid like rock. Not exactly portable, or one man setup, but these are the options. I'll get some pictures up so you all can check it out.
My next adventure will be a climber maybe. I'm still trying to get my head around light weight and heavy duty. I may find they are mutually exclusive. I'm gonna start bow hunting next year and the setup I have been building probably won't work too well.
If anyone has found a good solution for buying a good "fat boy" stand I'd appreciate a point in the right direction. I've found some that are #350 rated, but I'm still skeptical.
I started this thread from something J.T. said on another thread, not trying to steal your thunder bro.
First joker with "drop a couple pounds" gets full throttle as an example to the rest...:fullauto:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've used lots of the ladder stands, and some are pretty flimsy, but if one follows the instructions, they can be made quite stable.
But, I'm with you. I make most of my ladders now, and I'm thinking a 800lb gorilla would be comfortable climbing up it:D

J.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If anyone has found a good solution for buying a good "fat boy" stand I'd appreciate a point in the right direction. I've found some that are #350 rated, but I'm still skeptical.
I started this thread from something J.T. said on another thread, not trying to steal your thunder bro.
First joker with "drop a couple pounds" gets full throttle as an example to the rest...:fullauto:

6' 4" 280lbs. I have used the Summit Goliath climber safely, it is rated at 350. I have no thunder, wife keeps it in a mason jar since the wedding. I should also mention that by the time you make it 15-20ft up a tree in a climber you WILL be lighter than when you started.

HOYT79

New to the site!
Reaction score
I have to agree I am 6'2" @ 300 pounds and hunt with a guy that is 5'11" @ 175 so I had to convince him into buying double man stands for our hunting lease so my big ass can fit and be comfortable for those all day hunts! Damn glad he was understanding b/c I have tried fitting in the singles and ......... that. Definitely post some pictures I may need to start fabricating my own as well

Latest posts

Top Bottom