Bill of Rights

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toehanus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In the national archives in dc. I jus finished seeing the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution of the United States of America, and the Bill of Rights. Very moving experience to see those documents in person.

That being said I made an interesting g observation. Lots of people crammed in to see the constitution. A few less lined up to see the declaration. Not a single person looking at the bill of rights. Kinda made me sad.

@toehanus

dutchwrangler

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Fewer even know that the Bill of Rights has a preamble:

The Preamble to The Bill of Rights

Congress of the United States
begun and held at the City of New-York, on
Wednesday the fourth of March, one thousand seven hundred and eighty nine.

THE Conventions of a number of the States, having at the time of their adopting the Constitution, expressed a desire, in order to prevent misconstruction or abuse of its powers, that further declaratory and restrictive clauses should be added: And as extending the ground of public confidence in the Government, will best ensure the beneficent ends of its institution.

RESOLVED by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America, in Congress assembled, two thirds of both Houses concurring, that the following Articles be proposed to the Legislatures of the several States, as amendments to the Constitution of the United States, all, or any of which Articles, when ratified by three fourths of the said Legislatures, to be valid to all intents and purposes, as part of the said Constitution; viz.

ARTICLES in addition to, and Amendment of the Constitution of the United States of America, proposed by Congress, and ratified by the Legislatures of the several States, pursuant to the fifth Article of the original Constitution.

You'd think that Americans would understand the purpose of the Constitution... but they don't. Nothing but a set of by-laws for the corporation created by the separate States in confederation. Sad...

Cinaet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have fun toehanus! The brick and mortar of the government bureaucracy is overwhelming. I guess people are interested in what they know. You hear the Constitution mentioned almost every day. Outside of school you don't hear the Bill of Rights mentioned but maybe once a year. If you get a chance the National Air and Space Museum is a good respite. The Mercury capsule they have is about the size of a port-o-potty. It seems impossibly small. Those guys were strapped into those things riding a rocket into space!

toehanus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have fun toehanus! The brick and mortar of the government bureaucracy is overwhelming. I guess people are interested in what they know. You hear the Constitution mentioned almost every day. Outside of school you don't hear the Bill of Rights mentioned but maybe once a year. If you get a chance the National Air and Space Museum is a good respite. The Mercury capsule they have is about the size of a port-o-potty. It seems impossibly small. Those guys were strapped into those things riding a rocket into space!

Yep, we hit the air and space museum too. Saw natural history museum, and museum of the American Indian all were good but paled in comparison to the constitution, declaration, and bill of rights. Yesterday we saw the monuments. It's been a good trip but I'm ready to be back in OK.

@toehanus

Latest posts

Top Bottom