Bipartisan effort to expand background checks quietly gains steam

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n2sooners

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dianne Feinstein’s assault-weapons ban may be DOA on Capitol Hill, but that doesn’t mean that Congress is dormant on the issue of guns. A bipartisan group in the Senate have quietly begun working with both gun-rights and gun-control activists on the issue of background checks, and may soon have a competing proposal to Feinstein’s bill that will address mental-health issues and gaps in gun purchases. USA Today’s Jackie Kucinich reports that a Gang of Four are working on the bill:

Full Story

This and the fact that so many so called conservatives are just fine with it scares me much more than the magazine restrictions. I think this is much more likely to pass and much more dangerous in the long term.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Our own Sen. Coburn is part of this Gang of Four which is now about to propose expanded backgroung checks. We need to double-up on contacting him.

Called his office today to express my opposition to UBC. Kind of surprised when a human answered on the second ring. That phone needs to be busy with guys like us calling if we don't want this crap to pass.

It took literally less than 1 minute. I waste more time on an e-mail than that phone call.

(202)224-5754 Sen. Coburn's office

loudshirt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It would be horrible it there was a way to keep more mentally unstable people from legally purchasing firearms. Since all mentally unstable people know where to buy illegal firearms it will probably be useless to try and slow down there access.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Need to keep calling his office daily and burn up his phone lines. He was in USA Today this morning calling for protections for Dr's who report people who shouldn't have access to guns. This would create a chilling effect for gun owners seeking medical attention for a host of issues. Also, Doctors aren't qualified to determine peoples civil rights and apparently Coburn doesn't understand Due Process! :mad:

n2sooners

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, depending on who you ask the plan could be UBC or it could just be increased mental health reporting. Need to keep up the pressure until we find out what the plan is.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, depending on who you ask the plan could be UBC or it could just be increased mental health reporting. Need to keep up the pressure until we find out what the plan is.

This is what I was thinking. Are we really talking about "expanding" in the sense of the background check being more inclusive of relevant data or "expanding" in the sense of encroaching on private transfers? I don't see a good reason why I should be required to use NICS to sell or gift a long gun or handgun to a relative or close friend - I already know the person well and still must comply with not transferring to a known felon, etc.

Daryl Licht

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There is a question that I have not seen yet that should be asked. The Gun Control Act of 1968 can stand, for the most part, as a regulation of interstate commerce, as could the Brady Act. Where does the fedgov get the authority to regulate commerce within a state? Politicians should be asked to justify where the fedgov gets the constitutional power for this. UBC's are another overstep that needs to be fought vigorously.

I have expressed my "disappointment" with Senator Coburn, and will do so again.

Latest posts

Top Bottom