Bk-10 ka-bar

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

promiseofwar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I picked up a KA-BAR BK-10 and while the blade seems top quality, sharp and robust, the handle is slick, as if it would easily slip out of your hand. Anyone else have experience with this issue? I was thinking about taking a soldering iron to it. 12 gauge dummy round for size reference. Thanks.
i983.photobucket.com_albums_ae320_promiseofwars_photo3_zps76e70635.jpg

i983.photobucket.com_albums_ae320_promiseofwars_photo2_zps0a689bef.jpg

mike miller

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If I had it I would take a checkering file to it. Since you probably don't have one of those get a small triangle file and cut some grooves straight down or across to make a criss cross to grip it..

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've heard nothing but good about those, I almost bought one myself but opted for a standard Kabar at the last minute. That grip does look really slick, I've heard of people epoxying neoprene onto the current grip and supposedly works great. Probably easier to checker or stipple it though.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Using a knife (especially a fixed-blade, and more specifically, a bushcrafting fixed-blade) is a lot different than using a gun. Most bushcrafting knives have semi-smooth handles because any sort of texture will quickly become very uncomfortable without gloves.

If you do mod the scales, then be prepared to use gloves everytime you need to use the knife hard for a long period of time otherwise you might end up with blisters/torn-up hands.

My advice is to go try it out first and see what you think of it with the factory scales and then mod it if you feel it needs it. Another mod a lot of folks go with is a lanyard to prevent it from slipping out (but IMO, the BK10 isn't really long enough to be a big-time chopper, so I doubt you get to swinging it around as much as something longer / more suited for chopping).

Nice knife and whatever you decide, go use it like it deserves to be used.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ka-Bar Becker BK9 Combat Bowie I got from a fellow member, I like it, its big, and the handle is slick too. But I put a lanyard on and it fixed it. The lanyard is just long enough that it tightens on my hand. I too thought about some light texturing and may still do some very light on it.

madokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
if the grip is a little too small , wrap some tennis racket grip tape on it and go try it out. if you intend to do chopping with it you could put tape or stippling only on the front of grip, leaving rear section smooth.chopping with a short knife, you only use 2 fingers on rear grip, with lanyard around wrist ,leaving knife to pivot in hand, with the 2 fingers holding knife..

Latest posts

Top Bottom