Black Powder search

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Box

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
Powder Valley is usually the cheapest and will sell it in pound increments, also has the most in stock currently.
Register on their site and they usually will send out an email the day that they have free HAZMAT shipping.
This usually happens about every other week or so. They send it early in the morning.
Locally there is none other than the subs that I have found.
I quit using Pyrodex Select (sub) though after many years of use, now knowing the un-seen corrosion it causes even after a thorough cleaning depending on how you clean, I usually go through several pounds a year.

Anyway, Powder Valley is your best bet.

soonerfan66

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Found Dong's in Tulsa has real black powder but $40 . I been stocked up for awhile and thought that was high . H&H said are waiting on shipment but didn't think to ask how much would be . May call them back and see . What was price last time anyone bought black powder locally paid ?

aabokla

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Graf & sons (www.grafs.com) has Goex and Schuetzen, various sizes. Around $26. Right now they have free shipping for orders over $99. A couple times a year they offer BOTH free shipping and free hazmat.

I shoot frontier cartridge in cowboy action shooting which means all guns shoot BP. I tend to buy my powder when the muzzle loaders have a big match once or twice a year at Oil Capital. They usually have either a vendor selling BP and other supplies, again around $26 +/- $2. Last year I went to an event and they didn't have a vendor but one of the admins who works for Schuetzen drives up from TX and is an active competitor, so I bought from her.

At the time, Dongs was $40+

I like shooting the real black. The smoke and fire are kinda addictive!

edl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone bought any black powder locally ? Called one store and person that answered didn't know what 2F or 3F was so not sure when he said no if was right or not . May call back tomorrow morning and try asking someone else .

H and H has it, or did. They usually stock it. Call first and see. It is over 40$ per pound. It has gone up.

Ahall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone bought any black powder locally ? Called one store and person that answered didn't know what 2F or 3F was so not sure when he said no if was right or not . May call back tomorrow morning and try asking someone else .
Last time I purchased real BLACK POWDER it was at Dongs in Tulsa.
Only place I could find it in the region.

Prices - yep about $40 a pound if you can get it.

Goex - went under - heard Estes Rocket bought up the manufacturing capability and is getting it going again.

Never been to Powder Valley in person, but I inquired about an in person pick up a few years ago when I had to go to south central KS for another matter. At that time you could pick up an order, but they need several days lead time to fill the order and have it available.

Black powder is so hard to find that the makers have maps of the distributors on their websites. I recommend you call and confirm that they have it and do over the counter sales before driving to get some.

Latest posts

Top Bottom