Black Rain... My First NON Colt AR15

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
According to Black Rain, it makes it stronger and keeps it cooler. I see you went with the Ergo stock, good choice, that is what I put on mine.

Not directed at you, Mark...

I see this type of comment, and I want to clarify for anyone who doesn't know; that statement must be qualified by this: "for the weight." If such clarification, then it can be true.

But taking a given barrel, and fluting it, will NOT make it stronger. Period.

I have to question the claim that that particular type of fluting keeps the barrel cooler, as the primary way that fluting aids cooling is increasing surface area. That appears to be flat fluting, in which case, it reduces surface area.

Looks cool though.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I am not taking it directed to me. Because I agree with you. That is why I said according too.

To me it just looks different cool.

Yeah, I just didn't want people to think that that claim was gospel. Basically, unless you know what you need and need fluting, you should just assume fluting is for the "cool" factor.

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've heard fluting increases rigidity in the barrel.
I've heard fluting increases surface area to aid in cooling the barrel.
I've heard spiral fluting counteracts the spin of the bullet aiding in accuracy or muzzle jump (can't remember which but maybe both).
I've heard fluting decreases weight and makes it easier to carry.
I've heard fluting is a big waste of money and is mostly for looks.
Whatever is true, I like the way some fluting looks, and absolutely think some fluting looks retarded. I'll reserve my comment here since a special someone (but I won't name names) thinks I am just out to get him.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Comments in Bold

I've heard fluting increases rigidity in the barrel.

It CAN. If you compare a 28oz light contour barrel to a 28oz medium contour fluted barrel, the fluted barrel might be more rigid... for the weight. That depends on the profile of the actual flutes.

I've heard fluting increases surface area to aid in cooling the barrel.

Using the same example above, the fluted med-con barrel has more surface area; assuming non-flat flutes.

I've heard spiral fluting counteracts the spin of the bullet aiding in accuracy or muzzle jump (can't remember which but maybe both).

I'm not qualified to make an educated comment, but my gut says bull.

I've heard fluting decreases weight and makes it easier to carry.

So does a lighter profile barrel. But done right, you can get the advantages of the first two lines using fluting.

I've heard fluting is a big waste of money and is mostly for looks.

That's up to the buyer.

Whatever is true, I like the way some fluting looks, and absolutely think some fluting looks retarded. I'll reserve my comment here since a special someone (but I won't name names) thinks I am just out to get him.

Lol!

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All of those were just what I've heard. A company will say anything to sell their product and it's up to the buyer to tell the difference from ******** to not quite so much ********. Either way, some looks good. Some doesn't. Personal preference I guess.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
All of those were just what I've heard. A company will say anything to sell their product and it's up to the buyer to tell the difference from ******** to not quite so much ********. Either way, some looks good. Some doesn't. Personal preference I guess.

Exactly. That's what I was trying to point out, nothing regarding fluting is set in stone. Which is why, unless you (the buyer) have done your homework, and know what you want/need, and have verified that the one doing the fluting knows what they're doing; then being just for looks is a fair assumption. That then is worth whatever you're willing to pay for it.

ColtDogg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I want you all thank you. The Rifle shoots well for what I ran i n it. I only took it to the range just one day to brake in the barrel and put 80 rounds down range. Next trip is to sight the beast in.

Now the barrel, I just got for the cool factor. Yes I wanted it to look like something you done see ever day. I like it a lot.

Now the new sight is friggin huge as someone said. But I did get to play with it a bit when I got home from work last night. to me that made something to keep up with the Aimpoint M4 and I do think it will do a good job.
Thank you all for looking.

Latest posts

Top Bottom