Blinking Problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSteph

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I didn't know really where to put this but I'll post here. I've noticed that when I am the one physically firing a gun I flinch/blink/shut my eyes after firing, making it hard to firing multiple, well aimmed rounds rapidly. The weird thing is that when I watch someone else shoot I don't blink/flinch/shut my eyes. I'll take any advice about a way to cure this problem.

prdator

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You might try doubling up on the hearing protection ( ear plugs and muffs).
My wife had this problem and I belive most new shooters do. Its the noise not the recoil that scares most new shooters.
Give that a try and see what happens.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've noticed that when I am the one physically firing a gun I flinch/blink/shut my eyes after firing, making it hard to firing multiple, well aimmed rounds

It's usually not what you do after the shot that causes the problem.
Bet a quarter the problem is moving the gun/flinching/anticipating.

Easy way to check is have someone else load your gun and mix in some dummy rounds. If the gun moves and you blink/flinch on the dummy round ....guess what that means.

dryfire, lots of dryfire
and buy some effective ear protection for live fire

front sight, press; front sight, press;

bratch

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
See I even flinch when I shoot my buckmark pistol.

youre going to need lots of dryfire then. Your brain is associating a big scary noise with pressing the trigger. Dryfire should help break the connection in your brain.

As someone else said you might try doubling plugs and muffs as well. I find shooting outside to be quieter than inside you might try outdoors if it's quieter for you.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's usually not what you do after the shot that causes the problem.
Bet a quarter the problem is moving the gun/flinching/anticipating.

Easy way to check is have someone else load your gun and mix in some dummy rounds. If the gun moves and you blink/flinch on the dummy round ....guess what that means.

dryfire, lots of dryfire
and buy some effective ear protection for live fire

front sight, press; front sight, press;

This!
I've seen lots of folks cured by random dryfires, and loaded rounds. Don't do it with your .22 pistol though unless using snap caps, and I don't know that I've ever seen .22 snap caps though. Anybody?

Latest posts

Top Bottom