Boat questions...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting a small boat for fishing but I am completely new to boating. What sort of things should I keep an eye out for when examining boats, motors & trailers.
Can you tell if a boat will float without putting it in the water to test it?

What should I look at in a motor?

Is running a motor in a barrel an effective way to test it? Or do you have to run it out in open water?

Any & all input is appreciated.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting a small boat for fishing but I am completely new to boating. What sort of things should I keep an eye out for when examining boats, motors & trailers.
Can you tell if a boat will float without putting it in the water to test it?

What should I look at in a motor?

Is running a motor in a barrel an effective way to test it? Or do you have to run it out in open water?

Any & all input is appreciated.

I can answer that question. Just fill up the boat with water from the garden hose and then see if any leaks out the bottom... problem solved.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Fiberglass look for scratches in gel coat, look inside hull anywhere possible for rotting wood (if wood runners were used. Aluminum hulls look for dents, gouges, popped rivets (if riveted hull). Check soft spots in floor decking. I prefer to check compression on all cylinders of motor. I trust this more than a lake test. Trailers made with tubing are notorious for rusting on the inside, unless galvenized. Make sure boat hasn't been used in brackish or saltwater (usually only for bigger boats). Trailers and motors built for saltwater use are fine, if taken care of properly. See if they use a boat mechanic regularly. I found out the #5 cylinder had lost over 60% compression once by doing this. I didn't buy the boat and soon found out he was putting a motor on it. That was a 25,000 savings.

300WSM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
On fiberglass boats, you want to look for weathered upholstery and soft spots in the floor. If the floor is rotten, there is a chance the transom is rotten too. This can happen if the boat is left in the weather. Tube trailers will rust out and sometimes break, look for cracks on stressed points. Generally if an outboard will start easily and idle it is ok, but it is best to test under a load. If worn out or damaged, they can lose compression and will not have power. If the boat has sat for a long period of time, the carbs could be dirty and that will also cause loss of power. If you are concerned about the motor, do a compression test on all cylinders. They should all be about the same. Just remember a boat is a hole in the water to throw your money into...

jrguns

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My question too. What size are you looking for? And what size motor? And the big question is what are you looking to spend. I got a great deal on a Ranger witha 150hp motor for 4k. Loved it. But upgraded to a pontoon boat and sold it. Besides my new wakeboard boat the Ranger was the best boat I ever owned.

OkieGentleman

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Figure out how much you can afford for payments and subtract $100 from that. That way you have the money to go to the lake once a month. I told that to a friend once and ruined his day. I forgot to add in going to the lake once and realized after having the boat for a month I could make payments, but had no money left to go to the lake. Not to be tacky, but a boat is a HOLE IN THE WATER THAT YOU THROW ALL YOUR SPARE MONEY INTO. As long as you know that before you start you will be fine, broke, but a happy boat owner.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Figure out how much you can afford for payments and subtract $100 from that. That way you have the money to go to the lake once a month. I told that to a friend once and ruined his day. I forgot to add in going to the lake once and realized after having the boat for a month I could make payments, but had no money left to go to the lake. Not to be tacky, but a boat is a HOLE IN THE WATER THAT YOU THROW ALL YOUR SPARE MONEY INTO. As long as you know that before you start you will be fine, broke, but a happy boat owner.

Why buy new? Those things lose their value worse than cars.

By the way, 2-stroke motors are super-cheap. Just make sure you can get real gas.

Latest posts

Top Bottom