Brady Alternative

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reddog1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As I recall, when the permits were first started, using them to purchase a firearm was acceptable.

However, it turned out that several permits were issued to people who were not able to purchase handguns in error.

Rather than recall those permits, a blanket change was implemented so that permits were no longer permitted for the purchase of firearms. You would think it would be acceptable, but no.....

Dave

As Alex Jones would say,

That was staged!

dieseltech09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As I recall, when the permits were first started, using them to purchase a firearm was acceptable.

However, it turned out that several permits were issued to people who were not able to purchase handguns in error.

Rather than recall those permits, a blanket change was implemented so that permits were no longer permitted for the purchase of firearms. You would think it would be acceptable, but no.....

Dave

If thats true why has it not been changed back since all of the original permits would have expired years ago?

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Dave

The non-acceptance of our SDA permits is tied to NICS and it started when NICS officially came on-line in '98...before that our permits were only an exemption from the interim checks/waiting periods. Permits that were less than 5 years old when NICS came on-line were grandfathered. After that our permits had to meet ATF guidelines for exemption.

ATF, not the State, makes the call on whether a state permit meets the exemption requirement or not.

IIRC, our current lack of exemption revolves around OSBI not using NICS for either new applications or renewals, can't remember which...there is no requirement for an annual NICS that I've seen.

SlammerG_89

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You still would have to fill out the 4473 anyways, the ffl just doesn't call it in.

Actually in the states that it is legal they serve as an alternative to the background check. So the only thing that would be filled out would be the log part of the 4473. They don't do the NICS stuff and only have to follow state law from there on out.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I sent a message on the OSBI homepage asking about this. Ill post their reply.

Cool. Keep us posted.

During some reading I see that Nevada recently got their exemption restored...but only for permits issued after 1 July 11. So a state can get it back...just not sure what it takes even though I'm certain it is tied to NICS checks in the permit process.

Latest posts

Top Bottom