Brass Trimmers. . . your opinion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I havent had as good of luck with the WFT as other have gotten. I think it's in my technique, but on .223 I can only get about a + / - .002 tolerance. Thats a .004 spread. Many people claim to do much better than that. They are fast and cut really well, I probably just need a little more practice with my technique.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have an old RCBS case trimmer - I got it as part of a kit with powder measure and scale back about 1976. Still using all of the equipment, but the case trimmer's cutter head is pretty dull.

Cedar Creek

I like the RCBS also. I added the RCBS motor to my kit trimmer and really like it. By the way, you can get a new cutter for pretty cheap. That will get you another 40 years of use ��

Larry Morgan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have used the LEE trimmers and haven't had the same issues people mention. The threads on the pilot were split and widened enough that I had to use pliers to screw it all the way down. I just trimmed some .223 last night with them and never saw more than +/- 0.001 variation (generally less than that). I guess time will tell if it continues to work. Biggest drawback is not being able to trim to custom lengths. You get what they give you unless you're up for modifying the pilot or making your own.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Larry I get the same results with the Lee trimmers,,I do have a 357mag pistol that all my brass must be trimmed shorter than normal specs,
Easy to file down the case gauge tip to make shorter brass.
Making longer is a different story.

I have trimmed over 1000 rounds with one and it has not changed at all.

Larry Morgan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I havent had as good of luck with the WFT as other have gotten. I think it's in my technique, but on .223 I can only get about a + / - .002 tolerance. Thats a .004 spread. Many people claim to do much better than that. They are fast and cut really well, I probably just need a little more practice with my technique.

This just occurred to me. The WFT style trimmers reference the trimming from the shoulder whereas many trimmers reference from the base. This allows for some tolerance stack-up from both the trimming operation and the sizing operation (assuming you are bumping the shoulders some). This might be where some of the extra variability is coming from. Just crazy thoughts bouncing through my head. :mosh:

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use the RCBS trimmer. I take the crank handle off and use my battery powered, variable speed drill.
Have resized a lot of 30-06 to 7x57 and .300WinMag to 7mmRemMag, trimming a lot of excess. Never had a problem.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use the RCBS trimmer, but I modified it with a solenoid, pancake air cylinder, and a foot switch to really speed things up. I can knock out 200 rounds of .223 in an hour easily.
I've got a video of the rig somewhere. I'll see if i can find it.

I'd like a look at your video on this one Dennis, I have the RCBS powered trimmer setup and for those calibers I don't have conversions for the dillon trimmer I use it, and on small batches I use the lee case gage trimmer set.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The WFT Trimmer is easy to use, fast and accurate. I've done few hundred rounds in an hour.

I love mine. I have them in .220 swift .308 family and 7stw love them. I get really tight tolerances with mine. I shoot those calibers the most probably 850 to 1k plus a year of just swift. I also have a Lyman universal for the other calibers I shoot. I just do them manually. I've thought about converting it to a power trimmer and haven't gotten around to it. These are the best ways I've found to trim brass. I hate the task but it's crucial.

Sent from NSA wire tapped device.

Latest posts

Top Bottom