Browning A5 not cycling

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

WNM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Went home at lunch and broke her down, cleaned and oiled her good. I then changed the friction ring for light loads (thank you ttown for the manual). She is running like a champ now.

Can't wait to take it out and bust some dove with it. It's cool to me to know that I'll be using a gun my grandpa used almost 60 years ago.

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Glad to help, those guns have been built since the early 20th century. The Belgium Brownings are very collectable so don't let it get away.

They are the best shotgun out there but they only shoot either 2 3/4 (light model) or 3 inch shells (mag). If you do shoot the heavy loads on either do not lube as I stated above, they need to be real dry and It'll take the recoil out. Just put the friction ring on the mag settings. I have 2 of em........sold all my gas operated guns.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Went home at lunch and broke her down, cleaned and oiled her good. I then changed the friction ring for light loads (thank you ttown for the manual). She is running like a champ now.

Can't wait to take it out and bust some dove with it. It's cool to me to know that I'll be using a gun my grandpa used almost 60 years ago.

I have my grandfather's Sweet 16. I'm gonna try to bust some dove too. Enjoy it. The Browning Auto 5 series is probably the best shotgun ever made.

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Glad to hear it. Those are great shotguns. One of the dumbest things I ever did was sell my Browning A5 Mag 20ga. :crying:

Good luch on the hunt! Hopefully it will bring back some great memories.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have my grandfather's Sweet 16. I'm gonna try to bust some dove too. Enjoy it. The Browning Auto 5 series is probably the best shotgun ever made.

I have a sweet 16 as well, and use it for my pheasant gun.
Picked it up three years ago at a farm auction for $670. Never had a round put through it. 1956 model according to the sn.

Bigcountryok you got a fine heirloom. Enjoy it!

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't use oil on the mag tube. Use Lubriplate or Rig or some other good gun grease. the recoil will shake off the oil onto the forearm causing it to get saturated and crack.

As for the 2 & 5/8" guns. their still out there although most of them have been converted to 2 & 3/4" by now.

Latest posts

Top Bottom