Bucherer Gem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Boy oh boy is my father spoiling my wife. He just gave her this beautiful gold Bucherer from the 1920’s (?) which I’m told is a higher end watch manufacturer although that may or may not be the case…I simply am ignorant on this subject. Appears to run like a champ and I’m also told there is providence behind the piece although his mind isn’t as sharp as it once was. I have read that Bucherer added a line of little known watches to their offering back in 1924 that you may have heard of……Rolex. It’s a looker of a watch and if anyone could hazard a guess to its history or value (possible insurance reasons) it would be greatly appreciated. 😬
Ps @thor447 finally one you don’t have to repair. 😉
IMG_6799.jpeg
IMG_6800.jpeg
IMG_6801.jpeg
IMG_6802.jpeg

Last edited:

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Boy oh boy is my father spoiling my wife. He just gave her this beautiful gold Bucherer from the 1920’s (?) which I’m told is a higher end watch manufacturer although that may or may not be the case…I simply am ignorant on this subject. Appears to run like a champ and I’m also told there is providence behind the piece although his mind isn’t as sharp as it once was. I have read that Bucherer added a line of little known watches to their offering back in 1924 that you may have heard of……Rolex. It’s a looker of a watch and if anyone could hazard a guess to its history or value (possible insurance reasons) it would be greatly appreciated. 😬
View attachment 383655View attachment 383656View attachment 383657View attachment 383658
BTW, beautiful woman's watch! Other watch trivia, what is the best selling watch of all time?

Rolex Ladies Datejust.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Other watch trivia, what is the best selling watch of all time?

Rolex Ladies Datejust.
Were you referring to best selling by dollar value or by quantity? When I read your post, I was thinking by quantity. Casio sells multitudes more G-Shocks per year than all Rolex models combined. My money is on a G-Shock. If we are talking model specific, there have been more F-91W's produced and purchased than any other watch on the planet.

If you were meaning a specific model, I'd think that it would be at least a men's model, just due to their customer base. Most of all manufacturing is for men's watches. My guess would've been a Rolex Submariner. I could be totally wrong though! haha.

Last edited:

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Were you referring to best selling by dollar value or by quantity? When I read your post, I was thinking by quantity. Casio sells multitudes more G-Shocks per year than all Rolex models combined. My money is on a G-Shock. If we are talking model specific, there have been more F-91W's produced and purchased than any other watch on the planet.

If you were meaning a specific model, I'd think that it would be at least a men's model, just due to their customer base. Most of all manufacturing is for men's watches. My guess would've been a Rolex Submariner. I could be totally wrong though! haha.
By quantity! The ladies datejust has been around much longer than any other model by any other manufacturer. This was according to Hodinkee. Amazingly the first wristwatch was for ladies.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Attachments

• lady rolex.jpg
    lady rolex.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 0

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
By quantity! The ladies datejust has been around much longer than any other model by any other manufacturer. This was according to Hodinkee. Amazingly the first wristwatch was for ladies.
I do not believe they are correct. It may be the best selling model of Rolex, but not the best selling watch by volume. There are 12x more G-Shocks produced each year than the entire product line of Rolex. Rolex is estimated to produce 800,000 watches per year (which is an insanely high number considering their price and quality). According to Casio, in 2020 alone they sold 10,000,000 units. In 2017, they held a celebration for their 100 millionth G-Shock. By volume, there's just no way more Ladies Datejusts (or even all Rolex watches in total) have been sold than G-Shocks. No way.

The Ladies Datejust only came out in 1957. The Cartier Santos (which was the first actual mass produced wristwatch) came out in 1904. This was 1 year before Rolex was even founded, and it is still in production.

Sorry, I don't mean to be argumentative, but that Hoodinkee writer is on crack, lol.

Last edited:

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
I think you should make an appt with BC Clark or some other reputable horologist/high end jeweler and get it appraised. OSA is great for comments, but...

Latest posts

Top Bottom