Bugging out when the Fit Hits The Shan

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pistolguy

Marksman
Reaction score
not necessarily. When the place is flooding, all you need to care about is reaching higher ground. If there's a hurricane coming, all you really need to care about is getting inland as far as possible, as soon as possible. Hurricanes lose power as they travel inland and they tend to follow the coast. This is not to say that they don't generate tornadoes some distance away, tho! You have to have a multitude of routes/destinations, in case some of them are jammed with cars, flooded out, on fire, have enemies present or in the way., or whatever. Staying in place often ain't an option, with flooding, fire, fallout, riots, looters. As long as you have goodies buried in several places, all you really need to do is 'hole up" underground, near a year round water supply, up out of the flood plain, with thick cover. At night you can journey over to where your stuff is buried, access it and bring it to your hidey-hole, or at night, on a mountain bike, get to where your stuff is, by off road travel, 20 or so miles per night.

There's no reason to travel far, but if shtf, EVERY above-ground building will be searched by desperate people, many, many times. Not one person in 1000 is properly prepped, or ever will be. If you think that your neighror won't kill you, to save his kids, you are badly deluded!

If you put up a fight, that will just tell the looters that there's stuff there worth taking. Many will be unable to move on, they'll just hang around and snipe at you, burn you out,sneak up to your place at night, poison you, deny you access to food or water, move in under cover of smoke, or contrive bullet-stopping materials on the front/top of vehicles, etc. Also, unarmed groups of women and kids are likely to approach, and just hang around, will you shoot them? They are likely to have communicable diseases, too. Will you deprive your family of needed stuff, to help everyone who comes? The word will spread if you do and you'll ALL be starving/diseased, within within a month or so.

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
not necessarily. When the place is flooding, all you need to care about is reaching higher ground. If there's a hurricane coming, all you really need to care about is getting inland as far as possible, as soon as possible. Hurricanes lose power as they travel inland and they tend to follow the coast. This is not to say that they don't generate tornadoes some distance away, tho! You have to have a multitude of routes/destinations, in case some of them are jammed with cars, flooded out, on fire, have enemies present or in the way., or whatever. Staying in place often ain't an option, with flooding, fire, fallout, riots, looters. As long as you have goodies buried in several places, all you really need to do is 'hole up" underground, near a year round water supply, up out of the flood plain, with thick cover. At night you can journey over to where your stuff is buried, access it and bring it to your hidey-hole, or at night, on a mountain bike, get to where your stuff is, by off road travel, 20 or so miles per night.

There's no reason to travel far, but if shtf, EVERY above-ground building will be searched by desperate people, many, many times. Not one person in 1000 is properly prepped, or ever will be. If you think that your neighror won't kill you, to save his kids, you are badly deluded!

If you put up a fight, that will just tell the looters that there's stuff there worth taking. Many will be unable to move on, they'll just hang around and snipe at you, burn you out,sneak up to your place at night, poison you, deny you access to food or water, move in under cover of smoke, or contrive bullet-stopping materials on the front/top of vehicles, etc. Also, unarmed groups of women and kids are likely to approach, and just hang around, will you shoot them? They are likely to have communicable diseases, too. Will you deprive your family of needed stuff, to help everyone who comes? The word will spread if you do and you'll ALL be starving/diseased, within within a month or so.

and gunkid is back ladies and gentlemen

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nope, I do however take advise from known felons and loons very lightly. :-) :tounge2::loser:

'tis true, one does have to take advise from those two focus groups with a grain of salt, but the entertainment value is priceless ...

For example, I see no reason to dig a bazillion hidey-holes between here and the Big Island. I'm waiting for somebody else to do all the work -- think about it ... They can only use one hole at a time :lookaroun :rollingla ... Sorry ... I'll just follow them from hole to hole to hole ...

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
'tis true, one does have to take advise from those two focus groups with a grain of salt, but the entertainment value is priceless ...

For example, I see no reason to dig a bazillion hidey-holes between here and the Big Island. I'm waiting for somebody else to do all the work -- think about it ... They can only use one hole at a time :lookaroun :rollingla ... Sorry ... I'll just follow them from hole to hole to hole ...

I am waiting to see him dig a hole anywhere between California and the big island. :D

Seriously I will be staying put until the first panic dies down and then going to the family farm, unless I have somehow gotten the money to move to Hawaii before hand.

As far the the hordes coming out of the cities, the more I think about it and the way people react in this country, I do not think there will be as many as most people think. First you will have those that refuse to leave their homes, next will be those that stay and prey on the others in the cities, then those that sit and wait on someone else to help them. Most of these will not leave the cities until they have no other choice and many of them will not know when it is to late.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't have the money to prepare like most of you guys are. I am on a limited budget and can't really afford much extra stuff. If a SHTF thing ever happens I am just staying at my house. If I have to leave then I will deal with it when it gets there. I live in the country so it won't be too bad. I am getting together all the small things I would need like starting a fire and something to filter water with. Beyond that I don't know. But I will not be bugging out to nowhere. I don't really see the sense in it. I don't ever see anything getting that bad. And if it does, are any of us really gonna be that prepared for it? I know I won't. We all gotta die sometime.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tony, I'm mostly with you. We have some stuffs, mostly just stock up on sales, canned fruits and vegs from garden (looks like a lot now but by next spring they will diminish greatly), seeds and AMMO.

Have planted seeds that my uncle had stored in coffee cans for over 40 years and they grew just fine. Atwood's had seeds 10 cents a pack last week and bought $10 worth of seeds. Got 160 acres with hamburger on the hoof, it stores well that way, chickens and keep some seeds when harvesting.

I can see things getting worse, even bad, but don't think the SHTF nuke strike blah blah is coming. But you never know.

We are more into somewhat self sufficient more than SHTF preppers.

Latest posts

Top Bottom