Buh-bye Jaybird - hello ugly duckling...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok. For the past 23 years or so, I've been a loyal Smith & Wesson revolver fan. I still am. I think a good ol' S&W Military & Police K frame is one of the best combat handguns ever created and it seems like I've always had a J frame of some sort serving as backup.

Until now.

Last week I picked up a OD green Ruger LCR in .38 Special +P from one of our members here, jhawknokc (thanks Justin! :wave:). To say this is a "ugly" revolver is an understatement. But, like most of the polymer guns nowadays, it's ugliness transforms into it's sexiness. Don't ask me how, you guys all know. Seems like the uglier a plastic gun is, the more awesome it looks and the OD green Ruger LCR is no different. It's black polymer grip, trigger and hammer mechanisms jive very sweetly with it's OD green annodized aluminum frame and barrel while the satin stainless cylinder and black steel barrel liner all scream awesome.

But it's dazzling looks isn't what sold me on the LCR. In fact, I think the J frame is a better looking gun...in it's class. It's kinda like 1911s and Glocks. The 1911 is what you show your friends. The Glock is what you show your enemies. While the J frame is a "pretty" revolver, the Ruger LCR is a "sexy" revolver...if that makes any sense. :ugh2:

Actually, there are four other reasons I decided to ditch the J frame and go with the very unconventional plastic revolver. Let's talk about the LCR's features that are head and shoulders above the J frame.

Lightweight.

The Ruger LCR weighs in at a mere 13.5 ounces unloaded while the comparable (and very popular) Smith & Wesson model 442 weighs in at 15 oz while empty. While an ounce and a half may not sound like much, if you carry a revolver in your front pocket all day, every day, you notice the difference. However, while being a tad lighter, I actually thought the recoil of this little guy to be more manageable than the "heavier" J frame. It's definitely one that will see more range time with most folks instead of getting fired 5 or 10 times and then retired to a pocket for EDC carry or a nightstand drawer for home protection. The LCR doesn't hurt like hell when you shoot it! :woohoo1:

Trigger

The Smith & Wesson J frame has a double action trigger pull like a gate latch. It's ok, when can all admit it. The trigger stacks and while I reckon that's good for a concealed carry piece, it's a PITA come range time. The trigger pull on the LCR is heavy enough to be safe but it's smooth from start to finish without all that heavy stacking.

Accuracy

Let's face it. The Smith & Wesson J frame is definitely a "get off me" gun because if you shoot anything outside of 5 - 7 yards, lady luck had better be on your side. They are the most inaccurate revolvers in the entire world. The Ruger LCR patterns consistently in the 15-20 yard distances, keeping a string of 5 shots under a 2 inch pattern. I know most of you wanna raise the ******** flag right about now, but believe me - it's true. I've always been scared to death to take a J frame to my annual firearms re-qual, but I am actually looking forward to shooting the LCR on a CLEET course.

Grip

This was actually the first thing that sold me on the Ruger LCR. It just felt right. Sure, with a Smith & Wesson J frame, you have a plethora of replacement grips to choose from, but that's such a hassle. I'll bet my J frame(s) have worn any and all kinda grips you could possibly fathom and I still was never really happy with them. The LCR with the Hogue Tamer boot grips feels perfect for me.

Anyway, there's my humble review of the Ruger LCR. If anybody out there that has one can add something else to this review, by all means do. But I suspect their theory of this little snubbie is spot on with my take on it.

Again, thanks for listening to my rambling horseshit, and cheers! :sunbath:

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
just like a crack ho that found religion,you'll be back

I dunno - this thing is purdy sweet! :w000t:

This is great, but totally worthless without pics!~!!!!!!! :D

Well, not my pics, but here are some internet pics. :naughty:

cdn.armslist.com_images_posts_634752556502169563ldfw5eyh.jpg

cdn.armslist.com_images_posts_634752556505757747ohlq2z0z.jpg

cdn.armslist.com_images_posts_634752556510593995c4knvhla.jpg
cdn.armslist.com_images_posts_634814225842286599nbddlb5b.jpg

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
it's like the ugly girl that's awsome in bed ,eventually you want one you can show your mother with out being embarrassed

MrShooter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I don't think they are MORE accurate. Just a different style of grip to aid better shooting. (feels bulkier too)
I traded mine for a 442. I enjoy the S&W lifetime warranty, aftermarket support such as Apex parts, holsters, grips (crimson trace) and the sideplate disassembly vs drop out the bottom.

I did find the ruger was more comfortable to shoot .357's

Latest posts

Top Bottom