Building dpms style ar 10

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

becker_atc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So a friend at work has got interested in ar10 style rifles but has not found what he wants in a ready made rifle I guess.

He wants to now maybe build one and wants to make a light(ish) 243 winchester ar patern rifle. All the ones it seems are heavy barrel varmint rifles. So considering having a barrel made by black hole weaponry in likely 16 or 18 inch. Got a couple questions...

Gas length? Mid or carbine? (Plan on calling BHW in the am to pick their brains)

Is an adjustable gas block a good idea?

Any body have a a rifle with a light barrel profile that's weighed it? Or even standard

This will be hunting rifle mainly coyote and deer. Slick side upper or fa and dust cover? Can you get just a dust cover upper?

Any other quirks with these in non standard 308 calibers?

I'm sure there is more but that's it for now

Sent via message in a bottle

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just get a S&W M&P 10, they are around cheap. Would question reliability on any random caliber in AR-10 platform that is not factory. I'm sure you could get it to run, but...

Adjustable gas block if you build it would be good.

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, why not go with something like a 6.5 Grendel AR? Then you have a rifle lighter than any 308 pattern one and can be built with off the shelf components. It's more than capable of taking game as well.

With that being said, DPMS makes a Lite Hunter model in 243 that weighs 8 lbs. It has a 20 inch barrel on it though.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have an M&P 10 that has a light profile 18" barrel, and it weighed 7.5 lbs. out of the box. It handles great. I also have a DPMS pattern .308 AR that had an 18.5" gov't-profile barrel with rifle length gas, and it weighed 8.5 lbs.

kansas45

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought a DPMS LR 10 a year or so ago. It's my first .308 that isn't a bolt gun. It has a 24" S/S heavy barrel. The damn thing weighs around 12.5 pounds scoped, but it's a very good rifle. It's not a good rifle to shoot off hand, but prone with a bipod or a back pack, or shooting rested on a tree limb or the roll bar on the jeep works pretty good.

becker_atc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the input fellas. No parts are bought yet so things are still pretty open. He just likes 243 win and asked. I think 6.5 Grendel would be sweet but he is not a reloader yet.

Sent via message in a bottle

Latest posts

Top Bottom