Bullet cannelure tool

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tin Star Firearms

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have quite a few plated bullets for the .40S&W that I would like to try in a .38-40. I have read that it would be best to have a cannelure on the plated bullet to set the crimp at. A new tool is $130 and I would like to see if it is worth it to buy one. Does anyone have one to loan or would you be willing to put a cannelure on a few dozen(I would pay for your time)?

Andrew

Tin Star Firearms

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have only used the Lee factory crimp on some .32acp and that crip didn't matter too much. I have seen some postings that shadow what you are saying on different forums. $25 is way better than $130 to give it a try.

Andrew

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Fiddle around with it, I bet it will work. I use one on my 444, 44mag, 45LC and they receive some recoil. You can put a crimp on stuff that's very difficult to remove with a kinetic hammer, should be plenty for the mild .38-40.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Putting a cannelure on a plated bullet isn't going to work. Plated bullets are totally different animals from jacketed. They are basically soft lead with a copper foil coating. Break that coating (which the cannelure will do) and it's going to lead your bore so bad they'll probably tumble inside of 10 rounds.

You'd be better off with hardcast.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Break that coating (which the cannelure will do) and it's going to lead your bore so bad they'll probably tumble inside of 10 rounds.

You'd be better off with hardcast.
Wouldn't that depend on velocity? Just guessing but with a .38-40 I wouldn't expect velocity or pressure to be that high. Don't know, no experience with plated bullets..

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They're dead soft lead usually. You can almost spread it with a knife. Even taper crimping will pierce that copper coating if you go past just removing the bell. When that happens accuracy becomes non existent and I don't think velocity or pressure has a lot to do with it at that point.

Plated bullets are pretty and they shoot super clean when all is well, but they just aren't worth the hassle of loading, especially when coated cast bullets are cheaper and generally a lot more accurate.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have no experience with plated bullets in 44Mag, or indeed 44-anything.
However, I do have experience with plated in 9mm, specifically Berry's 124g FP.
I taper crimp, just to the point of removing the bell. They shoot very well, as accurate as anything I've shot offhand, but I haven't shot them past 50 feet, and I'm not Deadeye Dick, either.
I don't know why a taper crimped 44Mag, or any other caliber, in a single-shot rifle, wouldn't work.

Why not try it, and let us know ?

Latest posts

Top Bottom