Bushnell Elite 6500 1.25-8x32

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Glass gurus...anybody have one of these I can look through? I'd love to see one before dropping the dough.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/bushnell-1-25-8x32-elite-6500-riflescope-matte-multi-x-651832m.html

This is for a dedicated 3-gun rig. Currently shooting a Weaver Classic Extreme 1.5-4.5x30 which is an outstanding scope but I'm thinking I want some more mag and I'm not looking to drop Swarovski dollars.

I'm not hung up on having 1x. My only real concerns are 1) not being illuminated and 2) having too much eye relief (?). I had an Elite 3200 a while back and was pleasantly surprised with the clarity.

Somebody talk me out of it. :) Not many options with > 1.5x low mag, > 6x high mag and < $1,000.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have an Elite 4200 3X9 on my deer rifle. I think they spec about the same except for the 6500s are 30mm tubes. If you want to see what the glass is going to be that would be pretty close. The Bushnell Elite series are a great scope.

I made the mistake of looking through Chris's Trijicon Sunday and I'm seriously considering going with one and ditching my Aimpoint. The magnification is what I want and it will go down to a true 1X when needed. So I won't have to suffer shooting my handgun without my glasses, which I have to do with the Aimpoint.

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I made the mistake of looking through Chris's Trijicon Sunday and I'm seriously considering going with one and ditching my Aimpoint. The magnification is what I want and it will go down to a true 1X when needed.

The Trijis are way nice! I made the even worse mistake of shooting Scooter's rifle with the $2,200 Swaro Z6i with 6x power. The 300 yard steel was a joke with that thing.

I really haven't had a problem with the 1.5x. I don't really think the slightly smaller FOV slows me down -- if anything it forces me to aim just a little bit harder. I've won some hoser stages with it easy enough.

I just stumbled across this Weaver...think it looks pretty awesome and it's illuminated:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=383768

What I MOSTLY need is practice at 300 - 500 (go figure) rather than a new scope. :doh: But I also want a Christmas present. :)

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Trijis are way nice! I made the even worse mistake of shooting Scooter's rifle with the $2,200 Swaro Z6i with 6x power. The 300 yard steel was a joke with that thing.

I really haven't had a problem with the 1.5x. I don't really think the slightly smaller FOV slows me down -- if anything it forces me to aim just a little bit harder. I've won some hoser stages with it easy enough.

I just stumbled across this Weaver...think it looks pretty awesome and it's illuminated:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=383768

What I MOSTLY need is practice at 300 - 500 (go figure) rather than a new scope. :doh: But I also want a Christmas present. :)
It's getting good reviews isn't it?

I think I may be getting one of these.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=473924

But I like that Weaver too. hmmm...
I really dig the Trij but I just hate to spend that much. I'm not going to be doing any serious 3 gunning at big matches so a $500 scope and a good mount should be plenty good for me.

Reaction score
I'm not a glass guru, but I read a lot, shoot a bit, and have several 4200s, 3200s, and one 6500 which I love and plan to get many more of, so....

My only real concerns are 1) not being illuminated and 2) having too much eye relief (?).

Wait a second - let me see if I understand your criteria:

"Not being illuminated" - so is your concern that it's not illuminated, or is it the case that you like this about the Bushnell and have this concern about other possible subsitutes because you do NOT want illumination on your gun (i.e. that you do not want battery reliance, viewing that as a negative thing)?

"Having too much eye relief" - Do you mean that your concern is that you'll end up having too MUCH eye relief, not too little eye relief? If so, then this does not make any sense to me. You just can NOT get enough eye relief on an AR type rifle (is that what you're using for 3-gun?). You can always easily mount it farther forward if you have initially "too much" eye relief, but you can not always mount it further backward if you have too little, and still be able to both (a) reach the charging handle easily, and (b) keep it low. I've never heard of too much eye relief being a problem, but especially on an AR where it's very easy to simply choose to put it further forward. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you (must be).

Not many options with > 1.5x low mag, > 6x high mag and < $1,000.

Did you mean to type:

Not many options with < 1.5x low mag, > 6x high mag and < $1,000.

??

If so, then if I'm not mistaken, you are right - not only are there not many, there are NO others, under $2,800 (the Premier Reticles).

Although I don't have one, I plan to get several of the Elite 6500 1.25-8x32s, and think they'd be an excellent choice for all "all-purpose" gun that's used out to 350-400 yards.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/bushnell-1-25-8x32-elite-6500-riflescope-matte-multi-x-651832m.html

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You just can NOT get enough eye relief on an AR type rifle (is that what you're using for 3-gun?).

Huh? My Weaver has 4" of eye relief and is mounted all the way forward in a ADM Recon-X mount. This scope has 6" of eye relief and can obviously not be mounted any farther forward than the Weaver. Therefore...it could have TOO much eye relief for my application.

Illumination is on the wish list. As far as being "battery dependent," illuminated scopes have reticles that are visible when the illumination is not turned on. However, it's nice to have for close range target acquisition and when there's not a lot of light. At the AR Sectional 3-gun championship we were shooting rifle at distance in the dusk.

I'm thinking I'll keep my current glass for a bit longer, at least until after the TX 2-gun. I'll re-evaluate then...

If somebody local has one of these, let me know!

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm interested in one as well but how does that work when you need 1x magnification?

Well the majority of 3 gunning is at 40 yards or less. 1X is no magnification which is the way to go on the stuff up close. I'm running an Aimpoint CompM2 which is 1X. It's fantastic for the close in stuff in that I can shoot both eyes open. But it takes far too long on the long range stuff because there is no magnification. Also I have a 4 mil dot which doesn't help matters one bit. That equates to 8" dia at 200 yards which covers up a whole lot of the targets we are shooting and sometimes all of them. So if I had a scope that goes down to a true 1X like the Trijicon I could use it the same as my Aimpoint on the close stuff and crank it up to 4X on the long range stuff with just a twist of the knob. Also you can adjust the focus on scopes which I can't with the Aimpoint, and the dot is all crazy distorted looking when wearing my glasses. This causes me some pretty serious issues when shooting a stage with rifle and handgun. I have to shoot without any vision correction which is fine for the rifle (I'm far sighted and can see fine at distance), but a real handicap for the handgun. A scope would be a huge advantage over my current setup. It's just that there aren't many variable scopes that go down to true 1X like the Trijicon. But I think that a 1.25 power will work pretty well, it would just be icing on the cake to get that true 1X.

Latest posts

Top Bottom