Can a cigarette light gasoline vapors? Discussion.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From everything I’ve seen and read a cigarette doesn’t burn hot enough to light gasoline or it’s vapors. Mythbusters did an episode on this. There are countless articles and videos of people trying.

I am talking about even optimized conditions for combustion and a hard drawn cherry cigarette. This surprised me too and I wouldn’t have anything hot around gasoline but from what I’ve read I don’t believe it happens.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have tried it several times burning brush piles and could never get it to light by just throwing a cig on the gas, could it havent anything is possible but with today gas more than likely not i have even took a match and struck it and throwed in a small cup of gas and it put the match out. Also i think it would depend on the time of year it is in the warmer time the gas fumes spreads out more and thinner than in the colder time.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While the lit end of a cigarette smolders, it might be surrounded by a cloud of CO2 that would tend to keep enough fumes away from the glowing ash. I don't really know, I'm just speculating. However, a static electric spark will definitely light the fumes.

Woody
That is what I’ve read. While it technically burns just barely hot enough to ignite vapors the burning gasses will push away the vapors.

So if you were freezing and only had a pile of dry sticks, a can of gas, a whole bunch of containers and a lit cigarette, your best bet would be to try to create some tinder and light that with the cig.

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That is what I’ve read. While it technically burns just barely hot enough to ignite vapors the burning gasses will push away the vapors.

So if you were freezing and only had a pile of dry sticks, a can of gas, a whole bunch of containers and a lit cigarette, your best bet would be to try to create some tinder and light that with the cig.
You're gonna hate me for this.....but how did you get the cigarette lit?

Latest posts

Top Bottom