Can a cigarette light gasoline vapors? Discussion.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You're gonna hate me for this.....but how did you get the cigarette lit?
Well that’s a different story. Haha.

This just stuck in my head after a guy told me back in the day the service station workers filling gas would fill tanks with a lit cig in their hands all day. It surprised me and I didn’t believe it then.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This has been done a million times. It will do nothing. The lighter will ignite the vapors. Not the cig.

Okay, then why post the thread like it's a question. If it's been done a million times and you know the answer, why ask?
I've done my experiments. You do your own.

Woody
I'm not the curious one here, OP is. You should save the attitude for OP and direct him to do if he wishes.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My uncle died of Prostate cancer and not lead poisioning.
He chewed on a piece of lead solder while painting cars with lead paint and no mask.
Cleaned his painted nostrils with his finger that he dipped in leaded gas at the time.

Guess the thinner.. Leaded gasoline.
Everyone back then done it.
I have used gasoline for paint thinner myself.
But did not clean my painted nostrils with it.

I have put a cig out in a cup of gasoline.
My son dropped a drop light that was on in the garage right after he dumped a gallon gas can over that had Methanol in it.

I heard a big WOOSH and he cam running out of the garage ahead of the fire ball that was chasing him.
He was about 5 at the time.
He could sure run.
I casually went to the faucet and turned on the water hose and pushed the fire out of the garage with the water.

Nothing burned just a little black on the extension cord.

He said I was calm as he was freaking out.

Gotta keep an eye on those little buggers all the time.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okay, then why post the thread like it's a question. If it's been done a million times and you know the answer, why ask?

I'm not the curious one here, OP is. You should save the attitude for OP and direct him to do if he wishes.
Just wanted to discuss because someone might know more about it than I do. Might be able to explain something I don’t know. Such as constitution cowboy mentioning the Co2. Sorry if I’ve offended you.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just wanted to discuss because someone might know more about it than I do. Might be able to explain something I don’t know. Such as constitution cowboy mentioning the Co2. Sorry if I’ve offended you.
There's no offense here....I just think its silly to ask a question where the answer is already known. It seemed in your OP that you've looked into this even. If one does not trust the answer then they can research, experiment, or frame it less as a question of the phenomena and more as a question of why the phenomena exists.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There's no offense here....I just think its silly to ask a question where the answer is already known. It seemed in your OP that you've looked into this even. If one does not trust the answer then they can research, experiment, or frame it less as a question of the phenomena and more as a question of why the phenomena exists.
I will try to do better in the future. Thanks for the input.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will try to do better in the future. Thanks for the input.
07462ea00b3efa600d38f35b6c90427a.jpg

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Back in the day, I worked at a mostly self-serve gas station. One day I watched as a woman fueled her car holding the pump nozzle in her right hand, with a lit cigarette nuzzled in between her index finger and the next one over. No fire, no explosion.

Latest posts

Top Bottom