Can a cigarette light gasoline vapors? Discussion.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rustytigwire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you blow on embers it makes them burn hotter. Like how you make a smoldering pile of leaves ignite into flames by blowing on them.
I think a smoldering cigarette or other wood paper products does not produce Ignition temperature for gasoline vapors.
When you fan the embers or introduce oxygen the fire will burn hotter by couple hundred degrees?
This may give Ignition temperature for your fuel air mixture.
Fuel
Oxygen
Heat
When conditions are right... we have ignition!
But then what do I know.
😂

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
From everything I’ve seen and read a cigarette doesn’t burn hot enough to light gasoline or it’s vapors. Mythbusters did an episode on this. There are countless articles and videos of people trying.

I am talking about even optimized conditions for combustion and a hard drawn cherry cigarette. This surprised me too and I wouldn’t have anything hot around gasoline but from what I’ve read I don’t believe it happens..........I spent most of my working life as a fire Fighter, for the city, and then an Oil company! Gasoline is unpredictable, and extremely dangerous. In my experence a famable mix of hydrocarbons, and air, will usually find an ignition source!! Just one quick example is, we had a Briliant Chemest, that was in charge of a 50/60 person lab for the Oil Company I worked for. he blended raceing fuel at home, for some friends. As knowledgeable as this guy was, he burned himself to death, blending high octaine gasoline, at home. Most burn victoms live a few days until their lungs crust over, and he made the statement, he would have never allowed what he was doing, to be done at work!!! It only take one careless act when dealing with gasoline!

Rooster1971

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Little off topic, but I remember a video we watched in Vo-tech some 30 odd years ago just raising the water heater 18” in the garage vastly increased the time spilled gasoline would combust.
Sitting low it ignited quickly, raised it went over 15 minutes time lapsed and never exploded before the video was over.
Water tanks have more of a sealed combustion chamber now of course, but still raise them.

Chief Sapulpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where they bust the sod in South Tulsa County.
My auto mechanics teacher in high school chain smoked when we were in the shop, not in the classroom.
He kept a gallon can of gasoline near the garage door to clean his hands with and throw his lit cig butts into.
Scared the bejesus out of me but it never ignited.
My Hero...

Fro

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My auto mechanics teacher in high school chain smoked when we were in the shop, not in the classroom.
He kept a gallon can of gasoline near the garage door to clean his hands with and throw his lit cig butts into.
Scared the bejesus out of me but it never ignited.
All of the lighter hydrocarbons will weather out quickly if it was an open top can. After all of the vapors have gassed off it would easily douse a lit cigarette. Maybe even douse a lit match.
Its the gas vapors that burn, not the liquid.

Latest posts

Top Bottom