Can I carry a rifle like this?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't see any requirement other than 'gun rack'. Also, wanted to make sure you notice that twoguns? bolding of that statute caused me to change my answer to #5.1 and #5.2 as it states concealed behind the seat or in the interior as long as not clip, magazine or chamber loaded.

This is what I was looking at UMB...behind/under the back seat in a 4 door pick-up.
Is that a ..trunk?

DeeJay

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As far as I can tell, it doesn't matter if it is unloaded but it doesn't seem that there isn't a solution that is acceptable for a rifle with loaded magazine inserted and chamber empty. Guessing the last part is what you were looking for.

I need to alter my rifle carrying habit as I have been carrying it in the passenger compartment with the magazine inserted and chamber empty. Now, do I start removing the magazine and leave it in the back seat with magazine(s) nearby or do I put it in the trunk with magazine in it but round un-chambered? Leaning towards in the passenger compartment with magazines nearby.

Maybe something for OK2A to work on next session
If the magazine is not inserted, the gun can be anywhere you want in plain sight or as stated in the statute. As for the magazine, it can be laying right beside the gun or strapped to it in a mag pouch, etc.

The same goes for a pistol and magazine if you do not have an SDA permit. As long as the magazine is not inserted, both can by laying on the console or seat beside you.

Gabriel42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If the magazine is not inserted, the gun can be anywhere you want in plain sight or as stated in the statute. As for the magazine, it can be laying right beside the gun or strapped to it in a mag pouch, etc.

The same goes for a pistol and magazine if you do not have an SDA permit. As long as the magazine is not inserted, both can by laying on the console or seat beside you.

Yes, the dilemma was: do I keep it in the trunk where I have to get out but only actuate the charging handle or do I keep it up front and have to load a mag and actuate the charging handle?

Going with the second option.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
that is where i am. its time for a truck gun that is not a toy. i want a scenario that provides the fastest access while remaining well within the law. I would like to fabricate a mount that would allow my AR to either ride beside me or right above me in the truck in a secure position that allows simple access, if that means no mag in the well, so be it.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
that is where i am. its time for a truck gun that is not a toy. i want a scenario that provides the fastest access while remaining well within the law. I would like to fabricate a mount that would allow my AR to either ride beside me or right above me in the truck in a secure position that allows simple access, if that means no mag in the well, so be it.

Having troubles?...or just want quicker access?

And Yea wanna stay within the law , dont need that problem...8)

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Having troubles?...or just want quicker access?

And Yea wanna stay within the law , dont need that problem...8)

Naw, no troubles in the least. We live a very peaceful life, but toting a rifle to and from the property in the back of the truck can be inconvenient for access. With the number of coyotes we've been hearing and the hogs new this year, it's time for better access.

Besides, I need to be able to roll up on ISIS open up a can of whoop-ass, right?

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
TITLE 21 § 1289.13 TRANSPORTING A LOADED FIREARM
Except as otherwise provided by the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act or another provision of law, it shall be unlawful to transport a loaded pistol, rifle or shotgun in a land borne motor vehicle over a public highway or roadway. However, a rifle or shotgun may be transported clip or magazine loaded and not chamber loaded when transported in an exterior locked compartment of the vehicle or trunk of the vehicle or in the interior compartment of the vehicle notwithstanding the provisions of Section 1289.7 of this title when the person is in possession of a valid handgun license pursuant to the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act.

looks like to me if you have a self defense act license you can carry mag loaded but not chamber loaded in the interior of the vehicle

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Naw, no troubles in the least. We live a very peaceful life, but toting a rifle to and from the property in the back of the truck can be inconvenient for access. With the number of coyotes we've been hearing and the hogs new this year, it's time for better access.

Besides, I need to be able to roll up on ISIS open up a can of whoop-ass, right?

Yea , exactly...there Are predators out there....an the WA I get ya... ;)