Can I carry a rifle like this?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As cheap as ARs are right now I just went with a trunk M4 with open sights. In a tac bag loaded mag in but empty chamber with more mags in the bag. Cheap good insurance and legal

dieseltech09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Still only applies to unloaded rifles and shotguns so the answer to questions 1-4 are still no. Loaded magazine and empty chamber require and exterior locked compartment or a trunk.

Wrong

TITLE 21 § 1289.13 TRANSPORTING A LOADED FIREARM

Except as otherwise provided by the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act or another provision of law, it shall
be unlawful to transport a loaded pistol, rifle or shotgun in a land borne motor vehicle over a public highway or roadway.
However, a rifle or shotgun may be transported clip or magazine loaded and not chamber loaded when transported in an
exterior locked compartment of the vehicle or trunk of the vehicle or in the interior compartment of the vehicle
notwithstanding the provisions of Section 1289.7 of this title when the person is in possession of a valid handgun license
pursuant to the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act

Gabriel42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Damn! Looks like I need to take a better look at my sources to make sure they aren't out of date. Not sure where exactly I got the quoted statute from but it was obviously older than the current statute. Looks like I am good to go to move my rifle back into the passenger compartment. Thanks for lining me out.

Gabriel42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can get a PDF of the current SDA law on the OSBIs website. That way you know it's always the most up to date. It seems like something changes every year. I'm not even sure why they still give out paper copies.

Yeah, that or OSCN is normally what I use but I was driving and got lazy.

Did figure out where I got the old info from.
I googled "oklahoma statute title 21 1289.13" and clicked on the first link (oklegal.onenet.net) instead of scrolling down to the fourth link (SDA Book).

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
TITLE 21 § 1289.13 TRANSPORTING A LOADED FIREARM
Except as otherwise provided by the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act or another provision of law, it shall be unlawful to transport a loaded pistol, rifle or shotgun in a land borne motor vehicle over a public highway or roadway. However, a rifle or shotgun may be transported clip or magazine loaded and not chamber loaded when transported in an exterior locked compartment of the vehicle or trunk of the vehicle or in the interior compartment of the vehicle notwithstanding the provisions of Section 1289.7 of this title when the person is in possession of a valid handgun license pursuant to the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act.

looks like to me if you have a self defense act license you can carry mag loaded but not chamber loaded in the interior of the vehicle

This is the statute that I go by. My M4, mag loaded and inserted, BCG locked to the rear, dust cover open and facing up sits in the passenger seat if nobody is riding with me.
If I have to stop for fuel, etc, I cover it with a jacket.
Had a blown fuse the other day from bad trailer wiring. While driving home OHP pulled me over for no tail lights. He came up on the passenger side, got my license etc, and had me get out to see the issue. Flashers worked, so he said to run them and head on home. He never said a word about the rifle laying there in plain sight.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was pulled over by OHP one evening after dark. I rolled down the front windows and turned on my dome light. I kept my hands up on the steering wheel. I had already retrieved my DL and CCL. I handed them to him and he asked where it is. I said on my hip, and at least 2 guns in the back seat. My M1A and a handgun. He said OK and went back to his car and came back with a warning.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'd really like to do something similar to this

media.discoverstuff.com_img_listings_dd_dds_listing_pic_681098_1385219292.jpeg