Can we carry at the State Fair?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A. It shall be unlawful for any person in possession of a valid concealed handgun license issued pursuant to the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act to carry any concealed handgun into any of the following places:
1. Any structure, building, or office space which is owned or leased by a city, town, county, state, or federal governmental authority for the purpose of conducting business with the public;
5. Any sports arena during a professional sporting event;
6. Any place where pari-mutuel wagering is authorized by law; and
7. Any other place specifically prohibited by law.

B. For purposes of paragraphs 1, 2, 3, 5 and 6 of subsection A of this section, the prohibited place does not include and specifically excludes the following property:
4 Any property designated by a city, town, county, or state, governmental authority as a park, recreational area, or fairgrounds; provided nothing in this paragraph shall be construed to authorize any entry by a person in possession of a concealed handgun into any structure, building, or office space which is specifically prohibited by the provisions of subsection A of this section.

MyMonkey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Awww yea! I think that clearly spells out that it is mandatory for all permit holders to carry at the fairgrounds. :) Retain the altruistic language regarding other prohibited areas and all is well.

richard597

Marksman
Reaction score
I went to the fair a few years ago and asked two police officers near the gate if it was legal to carry there. They had no idea, but really did not care if I carried or not. They just asked me to keep it concealed.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A. It shall be unlawful for any person in possession of a valid concealed handgun license issued pursuant to the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act to carry any concealed handgun into any of the following places:
1. Any structure, building, or office space which is owned or leased by a city, town, county, state, or federal governmental authority for the purpose of conducting business with the public;
5. Any sports arena during a professional sporting event;
6. Any place where pari-mutuel wagering is authorized by law; and
7. Any other place specifically prohibited by law.

B. For purposes of paragraphs 1, 2, 3, 5 and 6 of subsection A of this section, the prohibited place does not include and specifically excludes the following property:
4 Any property designated by a city, town, county, or state, governmental authority as a park, recreational area, or fairgrounds; provided nothing in this paragraph shall be construed to authorize any entry by a person in possession of a concealed handgun into any structure, building, or office space which is specifically prohibited by the provisions of subsection A of this section.

I am not trying to come across as stupid, or being facetious. I read the SDA laws as posted above too; but have more than likely been ill-advised that because there are so many private vendors there, that they can post "no carry" signs...well; no matter; I don't have any guns anymore anyway.

Jam Master Jay

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am not trying to come across as stupid, or being facetious. I read the SDA laws as posted above too; but have more than likely been ill-advised that because there are so many private vendors there, that they can post "no carry" signs...well; no matter; I don't have any guns anymore anyway.

I won't speak for the OKC fair but:

Private vendors at the Tulsa State Fair have no authority to prohibit concealed weapons. They're leasing space and even then, you're not entering their space unless you're riding a ride, which doesn't have signs. At most I could see food vendors prohibiting concealed carry inside their vendor trailer.

I worked at the Tulsa Fairgrounds for several years running the construction projects there. The only time concealed weapons were prohibited was at gun shows. I carry every time I go to the fair.

FYI, the CEO of Tulsa Fairgrounds is a former Asst. Police Chief. He's savvy.

MyMonkey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

This is totally unacceptable. You must acquire a gun of some sort.

Latest posts

Top Bottom