Can we fix the OKC VA Hospital?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The title is kind of a click bait, but recently the Department of Veterans Affairs published an investigative review of the OKC VA Hospital.
For the record, I was there today, with my wife who was there for the first time with me. She was shocked at the number of people EVERYWHERE. Crowded hallways, wait times at the elevator, and the GAWDAMM PARKING!! etc. Code Blue for the rapid response team in the parking lot this morning. Heart issues waiting on a parking spot?
Other than one incident that was resolved by a patient advocate, I have had great care there with less wait time than our family Doctor.
This isn't a thread by me to bash the VA in OKC, only as an informational link to what is happening, has happened, and what they are doing to correct it.
I have not read the entire document yet, but here is a link, as its too long to post:
https://www.va.gov/oig/pubs/VAOIG-16-02676-13.pdf

I get news letters from Senator Lankford, and others and this was Their take on it.
Senators Lankford, Inhofe and Congressman Russell Respond to VA OIG Report on OKC VA Health Care System

https://www.lankford.senate.gov/new...to-va-oig-report-on-okc-va-health-care-system

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I, too, have had excellent care at the OKC VA hospital. I've had arteries replaced, brain surgery, many tests, and most recently I was treated for appendicitis. I have no complaints.

One of the things I find encouraging is the VA hospital's affiliation with OU Medical Center. I believe the association is more than helpful. Though sometimes I feel like a guinea pig what with all the tests performed by medical students, I believe OU Medical Center is an invaluable source of expertise.

Woody

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I, too, have had excellent care at the OKC VA hospital. I've had arteries replaced, brain surgery, many tests, and most recently I was treated for appendicitis. I have no complaints.

One of the things I find encouraging is the VA hospital's affiliation with OU Medical Center. I believe the association is more than helpful. Though sometimes I feel like a guinea pig what with all the tests performed by medical students, I believe OU Medical Center is an invaluable source of expertise.

Woody
I agree. In my visit with the DR today, he asked if a med student could sit in on the exam. Of course, no issue with that.
My Dr was fresh at my last visit, all undecided, and wanting verification of his findings from a resident before making a decision. He acted like a pro today giving the student a running commentary on what he saw, and what he was going to do.
I'm still studying the report. Administrative seems to have some issues, but will finish reading before commenting.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used to work at the VA Hospital in OKC and really enjoyed the time I was there. The veterans were 98% positive and but sometimes the staff didn't do their job properly. I remember one time in E-Module before they modernized with kiosks that soem guy behind the counter was using the "F" word loud enough to be heard int he waiting room and that is totally unacceptable with ladies present. He was written up but that's about it and he retired medically. Steve Gentling was the Director at that time and he rant a tight ship, he was a Col in the AF Reserves, I believe an MSC ((Medical Service Corp) officer. He was well liked and respected by a great percentage of the staff and he retired and they got some other guys who kind of revolved in and out. How it's run now is beyond my pay grade. I get my medical care there and I reviewed my medical records and saw that "I refused a prostate exam because I had had one on the outside." That is an untruth, I didn't refuse the exam at all, the doctor was lazy. The hospital has improved over the years but those foreign doctors have a don't care attitude sometimes. And then I can't understand them often because of their accent. I'm happy overall with the care and since Trump got in they seem to go out of their way to be polite.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Though sometimes I feel like a guinea pig what with all the tests performed by medical students, I believe OU Medical Center is an invaluable source of expertise.

Woody

I remember taking my son to Children's 8 years ago for an issue. I had a similar feeling, but was also thankful at how quickly they worked due to all the available (medical student) help. It's public sector, but the consolidating of resources seems to prove helpful in these instances.

Latest posts

Top Bottom