Canton Lake may have a fish kill

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mblndl

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was around Canton Lake in the early 70's. It was so low that we would drive our cars down the boat loading ramps and drive out onto the lake bed. (Until we got chased off). LoL. The stream of water going thru the spillway was a strip of water only about 20' wide and that was it. The lake was useless for swimming, fishing and boating. The local economy suffered. It was horrible.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
So what agreement is in place, and under what circumstances, and by what parties, that says that OKC gets the water when they want it?

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OKC owns the water rights to the lake. The USACOE, the Canton Lake Assoc, and the Cheyenne/Arapaho tribes have been involved in the recent discussions with OKC. They promised to wait 2 - 4 weeks to allow possible Spring rains to help fill the lake before they took the water. They waited less than 1 week. If enough people call and complain to the Water Utilities Trust about their actions they will give excuses why they did what they did. They are like cockroaches when you turn the light on.......they run and hide. Their actions speak for themselves.

oden_sparks

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Didn't canton already have a fish shock recently? I have a buddy in the area who said they shocked it because the lake couldn't support the fish population so they thinned them out.

BangBangJamDang

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I grew up out in Guymon and watched all the creeks, river beds, and even lake Optima go dry. You can drive over a lot of bridges in that part of the country that have no water under them anymore. Scary stuff.

Latest posts

Top Bottom