Canton Lake may have a fish kill

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Channel 4 ran a story too, Canton area people pissed................... OKC's reply is that Canton was created as a water source backup for OKC so get over it.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What did they say?
Not a whole lot. They pointed out that Canton Lake was created for flood control, water storage for irrigation, and as a backup water source for Woodward (I think they said Woodward, but I could be mistaken). After Woodward didn't use any water from the lake, the Feds and OKC entered into a series of five-year contracts, beginning in the '50s.

They also interviewed a lady from the area of the lake (didn't catch her name) who said that OKC shouldn't be using the lake because it wasn't built for them and they had nothing to do with it being built.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I drove across the Twin Bridges yesterday, and I've never seen Thunderbird as low as it is now, not even in the drought a few years ago. The eastern channel in the arm north of the Bridges doesn't even reach them. There's lots of firewood to cut on the lake bed, and I'm pretty sure I saw contractors scattering house seeds out there... Yikes!

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
With the level that Thunderbird was, duck hunting was awful. The areas you could get to were extremely muddy and the birds bypassed the lake as there was little to feed on for them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom