Capped or Uncapped Turrets?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

promiseofwar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am eyeing a SWFA 1-4x24 illuminated scope. I have always used capped turrets and relied on BDC reticles. Is there an advantage to using exposed turrets for 223/556? It seems that on the fly changes make more sense with longer range cartridges. What say you? Thanks.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just my opinion, but I think the more advanced long range shooters than myself use the exposed turrets as they have their dope that is tried and true to dial in.

Last edited:

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Turrents on a low power scope are a waste, work well of long range. I have a few 1-4 Vortex scopes and went with the MOA capped. I have a SWFA 1-6 it has turrents but they are capped. I'd def
look at the 1-6, it's a sweet scope and that much better than the 1-4. The extra 2 power is nice.

I've ran it thru 4 run and guns so far and it's preformed flawless. It's built like a tank, well worth the cash. When compared to Vortex 1-6 it has better reticle and is lighter.

You are more than welcome to check mine out, not a lot of SWFA gear that I've seen out there.

promiseofwar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just my opinion, but I think the more advanced long range shooters than myself use the exposed turrets as they have their dope that is tried and true to dial in.
Thanks for your input, I was thinking along the same lines.
Turrents on a low power scope are a waste, work well of long range. I have a few 1-4 Vortex scopes and went with the MOA capped. I have a SWFA 1-6 it has turrents but they are capped. I'd def
look at the 1-6, it's a sweet scope and that much better than the 1-4. The extra 2 power is nice.

I've ran it thru 4 run and guns so far and it's preformed flawless. It's built like a tank, well worth the cash. When compared to Vortex 1-6 it has better reticle and is lighter.

You are more than welcome to check mine out, not a lot of SWFA gear that I've seen out there.
Thanks, offer much appreciated! I ran across this thread this morning... SWFA looks like the real deal.

http://www.opticstalk.com/swfa-14x-ss_topic22981_post356967.html#356967

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd def say SWFA is the real deal. FFP is nice, I really only use 1 power and 6 power. I run a cattail to flip it quick. The donut at 1 power works really well and zoomed in the crosshairs are clear and the donut is out of the picture.

Inbetween 1-6 it's a lil cluttered and not as useful.

Shiredude

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
yes. There is definitely an advantage to using turrets as opposed to holdovers. But it depends on distance and target size. If you're punching paper and a little steel out to 300, no need.
Anything more than that and dialing is the only choice.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it's something that you anticipate using in the field, like hunting or on a fighting rifle, capped has a very big advantage... unless it's enough of a high end scope to have locking turrets. Exposed turrets that don't lock can be easily turned in the field.

The main benefit of exposed turrets are for long range shooting at varying distances, or unknown distance. If you know your rifle's dope, you can determine distance to target, and then quickly dial in the required elevation to hit at that distance.

FOG

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My run n gun AR scope is uncapped and yes they can move especially when running with rifle slung but it just becomes part of the process to check the dials prior to a stage. My dope card has data for 25 to 350 yds and also for different wind conditions so I'm constantly making small adjustments prior to shooting so I dont want to deal with the caps.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A zero stop is not the same as locking turrets. A zero stop just means that you can set your scope so that the elevation turret bottoms out at a particular zero (usually your 100 yard zero). That way you can quickly spin back to a known starting point and count revolutions/clicks up to whatever distance you need to take a shot at. The turret can still be inadvertently moved, and windage turrets hardly ever have a zero stop (it doesn't make much sense). Locking turrets on the other hand mean you can lock them down so they do not move at all, unless you release the lock.

FYI those Vortex Viper PST scopes that were mentioned earlier have a form of zero stop (shims you can put under your turret), but do not have locking turrets.

Latest posts

Top Bottom