Carry gun position and weight...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alank2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I've been used to carrying IWB around 5:30 using a wilderness 5 stitch belt/CTAC/G19. This worked perfectly and is surprisingly comfortable for a long time when my weight was 193 lbs. It seems I had enough fat back there to hold the gun/holster in position. I've lost a little weight and am down under 180 lbs now and you wouldn't think this would be enough to make things different, but the lack of some fat now allows the weight of the pistol to pull it down below my waist. It just doesn't hold where it did before. Should I try to move it more towards the side, 4:00, etc.? It doesn't conceal as well at the side for me, but that is a lesser concern now that the OC law is going into effect. I still want it concealed, but I'm not as concerned about printing as I was before... Anybody else had this issue?

Thanks,

Alan

twotonevert

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
5:30 is a little further around than is comfortable for me. I average around 190 and carry IWB at 4:00. The back strap of my G21 fits perfectly in my rib cage in this location and prints less than any place else for me. I have found that by using a riggers belt, it stays perfectly in place and does not sag. What type of holster are you using?

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are you really wanting to know about carrying your roscoe or are you just showing off about loosing weight? LOL I'm just jealous. I use an OWB holster and a belt from Rafters Gun Leather. Slots on the holster either side of belt loops so folks can't slide the holster around to your back to gain control. The belt/holster combo keeps the gun exactly where I put it. I like the holster at 4-5...best for me.

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like you need a stiffer/tighter belt.

I actually carry at the 2:30 / 3:00 position. Depending on your frame, the 2:30 position hides very well and is comfortable for me. It conceals almost as good as appendix carry, yet you're still able to sit down or bend over without feeling like you're getting punched in the junk. You don't have to worry about your shirt riding up or printing from the back or the grip sticking out and you can sit down on any chair and not worry about back issues or comfort issues with a hunk of metal down on your lower back. Drawing it from sitting position even in a car is a breeze.

The downsides to the 2:30/3:00 position is that it makes your pants even tighter and not everyone can wear it in that position and conceal well.

alank2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi,

I tried a few more things with it and to me it feels just as loose at 3:30-5:00p. If you jump up and down it wants to slide downward. Maybe the issue is a belt tightness one - I don't love the belt overly tight. I wear the belt right in line with my hip bones. When it is a tightness I'm comfortable with I can pull the belt/waistband around 1.5" away from my body - is this too loose?

Thanks,

Alan

twotonevert

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It does sound like your belt is too loose. It should be snug but not tight if that makes any sense. Another reason to wear a reinforced belt. It was night and day difference to my comfort level. This is version of the belt I wear. I am not saying you need to buy this belt or one like it, just that a reinforced belt makes all the difference. http://www.karstsports.com/blribe.html?utm_source=bingshopping&utm_medium=cse

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like you need a stiffer/tighter belt.

I actually carry at the 2:30 / 3:00 position. Depending on your frame, the 2:30 position hides very well and is comfortable for me. It conceals almost as good as appendix carry, yet you're still able to sit down or bend over without feeling like you're getting punched in the junk. You don't have to worry about your shirt riding up or printing from the back or the grip sticking out and you can sit down on any chair and not worry about back issues or comfort issues with a hunk of metal down on your lower back. Drawing it from sitting position even in a car is a breeze.

The downsides to the 2:30/3:00 position is that it makes your pants even tighter and not everyone can wear it in that position and conceal well.

This works for me as well. It seems everyone is built different and has a different comfort area. I wore a tool pouch on the right side for many years, so a duty belt with a retention holster for a 1911 is almost unnoticeable to me, but would most likely bother the heck out of others. Find what works for you and use it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom